This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1313210



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Wakefield

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Darrington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 342476

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


DARRINGTON CHURCH LANE SE42SE (north end 5/14 Church of St. Luke 11.12.1967 and All Saints GV I Parish church. Norman tower, C13 aisles and chancel (altered in C14 and C15), with C14 north chapel (probably a rebuilding at that time); restored in 1880 by A. W. Blomfield. White magnesian limestone (mostly squared, but some rubble); slate roofs. Aisled nave embracing west tower, south porch, chancel with north chapel. The stout, square, 3-stage west tower, embraced by the aisles up to the 2nd stage, has a moulded 4-centred arched west doorway and a Perpendicular 3-light window above; at the 2nd stage, the south side has a clock face and the north side has a small Norman window of 2 round-headed lights (now glazed) with a colonnette; the 3rd stage, which is set back, has Norman belfry windows in the south and east sides, each of 2 round-headed louvred lights with a colonnette, an altered or inserted belfry window of 2 pointed lights in the west side; and an embattled parapet with restored corner pinnacles. The short nave has full-height aisles embracing the tower, the roof on the south side being continuous; early features of the aisles include a small lancet at the west end of both and, in the north aisle, rubble masonry to half-height, with a blocked round-headed north doorway, coupled lancets to the east and a single lancet to the west. The 4-bay south aisle has a gabled porch to the 2nd bay, with a chamfered 2-centred arched outer doorway, a cusped niche in the apex, kneelers carrying tall slender pinnacles, an apex cross, and buttressed side walls with low parapets; a stone roof on 2 transverse arches, and an inner doorway with 3 orders of shafts and deeply moulded arch. The other bays of this aisle have large C14 arched 3-light windows with reticulated tracery. The upper part of the north aisle, of squared masonry, has 2 large square-headed recessed windows of 4 and 3 lights with hollow spandrels, and at the east end (above the coupled lancets) a double-chamfered 2-centred arched window of 2 cusped lights with a trefoil in the head. The buttressed 2-bay chancel has a low decorated frieze in each bay (quatrefoils in the 1st and blind arcading the 2nd), a C14 2-centred arched priest door to the 1st bay, two 2-light arched windows in the 1st bay and one in the 2nd; and a very large 2-centred arched east window with intersecting tracery and Perpendicular secondary tracery. The north chapel has a large 2-centred arched east window with moulded surround and reticulated tracery, a prominent composite buttress to the east corner, a square 2-stage stair turret to the west corner, and between these a recessed Perpendicular window of 3 cusped lights. Interior: round-headed tower arch with substantial demi-shafts carrying scalloped capitals and small round-headed north doorway, double-chamfered 2- centred arch to south aisle; 3-bay arcades with tall circular piers and double-chamfered arches, keeled responds at each end; blocked lancet in north wall of chancel; very small piscina and aumbry in chancel; rood stair-turret with unusual small open-arcaded gallery running towards chancel arch; some traceried Perpendicular bench ends; 4 chancel stalls with misericords; some C15 stained glass in north chapel. Monuments: two C14 effigies (under arch in north wall of chancel and in chapel); monument to William Ferrer (d.1684), now damaged; in north aisle, marble wall tablet in memory of "that Just and Judicious Dealer ... Mr. ALEXANDER BLAIR of Aberdeen in Scotland and Merchant Taylor of London (d.1671). (Reference : Pevsner).

Listing NGR: SE4850320181

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)

National Grid Reference: SE 48508 20179


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1313210 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 11:09:05.

End of official listing