CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1313318
Date first listed:
23-Jun-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, HUDDERSFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1313318.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 19:34:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS, HUDDERSFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Kirkburton
National Grid Reference:
SE 19802 12497

Details

SE 11 SE HUDDERSFIELD ROAD Kirkburton 5/46 Church of All Hallows 23/6/65 I

Church. Circa 1200 nave, chancel and south aisle. Perpendicular west tower, though upper part said to be C19. North aisle rebuilt 1825, and clerestorey and south porch probably of similar date. East window probably mid C19, perhaps a restoration. Deeply coursed stone to tower and C19 parts, coursed rubble to south aisle and chancel. Stone slate roof with gable copings on cut kneelers. West tower, 6-bay nave, with north and south aisles each with porch, clerestorey , and long chancel. The tower has a fine early English doorway, presumably reset, with heavily moulded arch and colonnette to each side, and large dog tooth band around the whole doorway. Above it is a large 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery. 4-light mullioned and transomed bell chamber openings with traceried heads. Crenellated parapet. Six 2-light clerestorey windows to north and south. Six lancet windows to south aisle and three to south wall of chancel plus two paired lancets. 2-light windows with tracery to north aisle. East window of 3 large lancets.

Interior: 6-bay arcade to north and south on octagonal piers, except north side, west end, which is round. Some capitals with stylized leaves, some plain. Carved oak, 1st World War, commemorative screen to tower. Large chancel arch on slender semi-circular responds. Perpendicular panelled oak ceiling with bosses - C15. Arched braced chancel roof. Reconstructed Saxon cross fragments, at east end of nave, showing Christ crucified and with interlace at base. In the chancel are 3 late C18 wall memorials to members of the Horsefall family of Storthes Hall, all on a grey marble ground. Piscina in south wall, and a small square, chamfered hole in the north wall, thought to be possibly an opening into the priests room, a squint or a lepers' window. To left of this is a low, shouldered arched priests' doorway. Passage behind reredos with 2 reset doorways possibly of C13. 8-sided Tulip font with elaborate cover designed by Sir Charles Nicholson c.1930. Benches believed to be pre- Reformation, rectangular with simple mouldings. Other benches are Elizabethan with some carving and mouldings, one inscribed: JOHN WALKER - XX - OF - APREL - ANNO - DNI - 1584.

N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967.

Listing NGR: SE1979612498

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
341161
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01637/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A W Shaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].