CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1313467
Date first listed:
08-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1313467.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:21:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Wetherby
National Grid Reference:
SE 40395 48376

Details

SE4048 WETHERBY CHURCH STREET LS22 (north end)

5/7 Church of St. James

II

Church. 1839-42, chancel extended 1877. By J. B. and W. Atkinson. Dressed sandstone, Welsh slate roof. West tower, wide 4-bay nave with south porch; taller, narrower single-bay chancel with south vestry and north organ chamber. Gothic Revival style with lancet windows. Tower: offset plinth, hollow-edged angle buttresses with gablets rising as pilasters with shafted arrises; double-chamfered south door with hoodmould; tall 2nd stage with west and south clocks in deeply-chamfered recesses with hoodmoulds; louvred 3- light belfry openings with shafts, moulded arches and linked hoodmoulds; corbelled cornice below parapet with blind quatrefoils and 8 pinnacle bases (pinnacles removed 1939). Navel chamfered plinth; buttresses with gablets at angles and between bays. Flat-roofed porch to bay 2 has hooded arch and spandrel quatrefoils; circular window over has cusped radial tracery. Stepped 3-light windows to other bays beneath continuous round-arched hoodmoulds with carved stops; corbel table to coped ashlar parapet; gable copings. Chancel: lean-to south vestry with shouldered-headed door on right of 2-light window with hoodmould. Hollow-edged angle buttresses with gablets flank east window of 5 stepped lights divided by shafts; coped gable has cinquefoiled opening and apex cross. Interior treble-chamfered tower arch with hoodmould returning at floral stops to cover nave windows. Tall, moulded chancel arch; pointed arch into organ chamber. Queen-post trusses to the nave; painted panelled ceiling in the chancel. Stained glass: east window of 1877, west window of 1889. Royal Coat of Arms dated 1776 on nave north wall. Bronze memorial to dead of 1914- 18 on south wall. R. Unwin, Wetherby, 1986 pp 104-106 (illustration of church in original form).

Listing NGR: SE4039548376

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
341925
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Unwin, R, Wetherby, (1986), 104-106

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/05627/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].