Keighley War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1313949
Date first listed:
04-Dec-1986
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Nov-2016
Statutory Address:
Town Hall Square, North Street, Keighley, Bradford, West Yorkshire

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1313949.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2020 at 07:47:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
Town Hall Square, North Street, Keighley, Bradford, West Yorkshire

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Keighley
National Grid Reference:
SE0607741300

Summary

War memorial. Erected 1924 by Keighley Municipal Borough. Bronze sculpture by Henry Fehr. J W Singer and Sons founders.

Reasons for Designation

Keighley War Memorial, including the surrounding stone walls and steps, is listed at Grade II* for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent testament to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: an impressive composition with outstanding bronze statuary including one of the most notable representations of a seaman on a civic war memorial; * Sculptural: by the distinguished sculptor, Henry Fehr, responsible for many fine public sculptures and war memorials including those at Leeds and Colchester, as well as exceptional work for several civic buildings, notably the Middlesex Guildhall, Westminster, West Riding County Hall, Wakefield, and Cardiff City Hall; * Group value: with the many listed civic buildings surrounding it in Town Hall Square including the Town Hall, Council Offices, Library, Police Station and Magistrates Court (all Grade II).

History

The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England.  Keighley War Memorial, erected in 1924 by Keighley Municipal Borough to commemorate the 900 men of the Borough who fell in the First World War, was paid for by funds raised from public subscription at a cost of £5,000.

The bronze statuary was by Henry Charles Fehr (1867-1940) who was a distinguished and prolific sculptor whose work was stylistically close to the ‘New Sculpture’ movement, the late-C19 renaissance in British sculpture which rejected the stylised neo-classicism of conventional figure sculpture in favour of naturalistic, often allegorical, forms. Fehr produced many fine public sculptures and war memorials including those at Leeds and Colchester, as well as exceptional work for several civic buildings, notably the Middlesex Guildhall, Westminster, West Riding County Hall, Wakefield, and Cardiff City Hall.

The memorial was unveiled on 7 December 1924 by General Sir Charles Harington, a distinguished First World War staff officer, and dedicated by the Rev S Howard-Hall, former chaplain of the local 6th Battalion of the Duke of Wellington’s (West Riding) Regiment. The ceremony was attended by the mayor of Poix-du-Nord, the northern French town that Keighley had ‘adopted’ by 1922 under the auspices of the British League of Help, providing it with a community centre named Keighley Hall which stands today. This was the first recorded instance of ‘twinning’, a practice which became widespread in the later C20.

Details

The memorial is constructed in sandstone from the local Eastburn Quarry and consists of a tall obelisk on a two-tier pedestal and a three-stepped base. It stands on a paved platform enclosed by low stone walls, accessed by four steps. The obelisk is surmounted by a bronze figure of Victory, one hand outstretched with a laurel wreath, the other hand holding a palm branch. Curved projections on the east and west sides of the pedestal support, respectively, life-size bronze statues of a seaman and an infantryman. The seaman is holding a telescope to his right eye; the soldier stands at ease in full battle dress. Dress, weaponry and equipment are depicted in detail.

On the north and south sides are handsome, heavily wreathed bronze panels set within a projecting stone frame. That on the north side read: 1914-1918 / 1939-1945 / IN PROUD AND/ GRATEFUL MEMORY / OF THOSE MEN OF / KEIGHLEY WHO / GAVE THEIR LIVES / IN THE GREAT WAR / AND THE WORLD WAR / IN DEFENCE OF / FREEDOM AND JUSTICE / THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. On the pedestal beneath a tablet commemorates the Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force. The bronze panel on the south side depicts the Borough coat of arms in relief. On the pedestal beneath is a stone tablet laid in 2000 by the Royal British Legion and the Keighley branch of the Duke of Wellington’s Regimental Association commemorating those who gave their lives in the service of their country.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 5 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
338310
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Boorman, D, A Century of Remembrance: One Hundred Outstanding British War Memorials, (2005), 136-137
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 5 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/120460
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 August 2016 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/2106
Other
Yorkshire Evening Post, 15 June 1923
Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer, 8 December 1924

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/00171/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan V Whetton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].