This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1313979



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Calderdale

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Nov-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 338566

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


In the entry for

WHITWELL GREEN LANE 2/142 Elland Hall and New Hall (formerly listed as Elland New Hall)

The item shall be amended to read: New Hall (formerly listed as Elland Ilew Hall)


ELLAND WHITWELL GREEN LANE SE 119209 2/142 Elland Hall and New Hall (formerly listed as Elland New Hall) 24.1.68 I

Important 'gentry' house, built in the second half Cl5 for Nicholas Savile. Exposed timber frame to the north and interior, with partial cladding in hammer-dressed stone, with dressed stone to hall range of south front. Stone slate roof. H-plan, hall-and- crosswings which project to both north and south. South front in stone, of 6 uneven sized cells, reads from the left: a) western 2-storey wing, b) 2-bay hall, refronted c.1640 by John Foxcroft, c) cross passage with 2-storey porch, d) eastern 2-storey wing, e) mid C18 2-storey extension set back from hall range but with Cl7 single storey outshut with chamfered mullioned windows to north, f) early C19 gabled wing breaks forward. Cells a) and d) both have coped gables with kneelers and finials and early C18 windows of 4 lights with recessed flat faced mullions with square reveals to both floors, with projecting surrounds, and crude edged-slate hoodmould over with straight returns. Left hand return wall of a) and right hand return wall of d) have large well dressed lateral stacks with offsets, set upon a plinth (probably built on to the earlier timber-framed wings). Cell b) has spectacular double chamfered mullioned and transomed hall window of 27 lights arranged in 3 Panels of 9 lights with two transoms, divided by king mullions. To the left there is a 2-light double chamfered mullioned window to light the upper end of the hall, and over a single arch- headed light for the gallery. A hoodmould continues over the windows. Embattled parapet has C20 finials in keeping. Cell c) has impressive ashlar-faced projecting porch with flamboyant rose window of central circle surrounded by 6 mouchettes, an 'apple and pear' window, with semi-circular hoodmould over. Small gabled parapet with original finial to apex and carved heads on the straight returns and embattled to the return walls. The outer doorway has semi-circular arch riding from moulded imposts and has moulded jambs and voussoirs. To either aide are fluted Doric columns with straight entablature and a lozenge carved on the rectangular plinth. The inner doorway of the porch is similar, but arch and jambs have alternating flush and projecting stones with rusticated voussoirs, a vernacular version of a Gibbs surround. Cell e) is partly built over the extruded stack to the east wing which has large quoins; to the right is a cross window (for staircase) with flat faced mullions over a doorway with monolithic jambs, 4-light flat faced mullioned window with broader central king mullion and same to first floor. At the end of the bay is a large ashlar stack to ridge. Cell f) has a projecting 2-storey wing, Cl9. Rough rubble, with 3-light flat faded mullioned window with dame over with projecting sill and square opening in gable. First floor also has taking-in door (blocked). Right hand return walls are rendered. North front had surviving timber frame at first floor level with atone walls set forward to ground floor. East wing has 4-light double chamfered mullioned window with 3 panels of timber framing over. The central panel had close studding and projecting window while the outer panels have diagonal braces. The gable projects and is supported by arch brace to side and has heavy tie bead and king post truss with 'A' struts protected by projecting eaves with unusual thistle shaped wooden finial to apex of gable. This has leanto with cat slide roof over rear entry of through passage, large kneelers to entry support close studded wall over. West wing also has part timbered outshut but with re-used inserted C17 doorway and 5-light double chamfered mullioned window with hoodmould with spiral stops. Over are two flat faced mullioned windows of 3 lights and 4 lights to first floor. Only the gable shows the exposed king post truss with 'A' struts and arched brace to ridge of projecting eaves. Right-band return wall is rendered and has three small double chamfered windows and some quoins to the angle.

Interior: Both wings have parlours to south front with 'coffered' ceilings with cross beams and secondary spine-beams, all stop chamfered at the intersections; west wing has 9 panels, and east wing 6 with C16 painting of the elephant and castle, and the pascal lamb with cross, both surrounded by intertwined rope, to the underside of wide original floorboards. Both parlours have large fireplaces with heavy roll- moulding (possibly, early C16). Open hall, without side-aisles, has heavy timbered post and King post truss with cambered tie beam to the soffit braced to the ridge. Oak panelled walls with brattished spring-board to dais canopy, (now gone). An oak staircase ascends to a gallery running round 3 sides. A segmental stone arched fire- place is surmounted by spectacular large plaster cast of the Royal Arms, dated 1670 (coloured and gilded). This house is one of the most important vernacular buildings of West Yorkshire. During the C17 it was occupied by Dr. Power one of the first elected members of the Royal Society. L. Ambler, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire', (London 1913) p.80-1. N. Pevsner, 'Yorkshire West Riding' (1979) p.193, 625. C. Giles, 'Old West Riding' Vol. 1 No. 2 (Huddersfield 1981) p.1-11. A. J. Pacey, Yorkshire Archaeological Journal Vol. XLI p.455-64. E. Mercer, English Vernacular Homes' RCEM (1919) p.16.

Listing NGR: SE1190920974

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ambler, L, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, (1913), 80-81
Mercer, E, English Vernacular Houses, (1975), 16
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 193
'Yorkshire Archaeological Journal' in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 41, (), 455-464
Giles, C, 'Old West Riding' in 2, , Vol. 1, (1981), 1-11

National Grid Reference: SE 11909 20974


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1313979 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2017 at 09:16:23.

End of official listing