MANNINGHAM MILLS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1314426
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1963
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Aug-1983
Statutory Address:
MANNINGHAM MILLS, HEATON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANNINGHAM MILLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1314426.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Dec-2019 at 01:59:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
MANNINGHAM MILLS, HEATON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE1469234722

Details

1. 5111 HEATON ROAD Heaton/Manningham BD9

Manningham Mills SE 13 SW 8/135 SE 1435 22/135 SE 1434 NE 27/135 14.6.63

II*

2. The largest and most imposing of the Bradford mills and a major landmark. Manningham Mills were built in 1873 for Samuel Cunliffe Lister, later Lord Marham. This vast industrial monument consists of 2 long six-storey blocks, a grandiose Composite chimney, boiler house, large sheds and reservoirs, in all providing 16 acres of floorspace. The frontage to Heaton Road extends to 350 yds and the return to Lillycroft Road 150 yds. Lister commissioned Andrews and Pepper as architects and in keeping with the scale of the mill they produced a boldly modelled Italianate design, directly related to the style of the Little Germany warehouses. The most striking feature is the unique campanile chimney stack, square in section and 250 ft high. The elevations are of finely masoned sandstone ashlar rising from rusticated basements. The multi-storey blocks have arcaded windows on sill bands and bold dentil cornices with crowning deep panelled parapets breaking forward over corner and centre breaks. The block fronting Patent Street was originally used as a warehouse, and the mill block has a central feature to Heaton Road of a staircase tower, elaborately detailed and with a steep slated French pavilion roof surmounted by iron cresting and a flagstaff. The long shed range to Heaton Road has terminal pavilions with battered bases and a monumental portal to the south end of the frontage with heraldic achievement in the parapet: "Fides parit integritas". The first 200 ft of the chimney shaft are decorated with full height round headed panels, 2 to each face, rising from a massive pedestal base. Boldly projecting cornices define the base and crown of the 50 ft top stage, treated as a campanile. The scale, richness of decoration and the unique chimney make Manningham Mills the grandest industrial monument of the worsted trade.



Listing NGR: SE1469234722

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
336556
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/07217/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Dallimore. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].