CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1314662
Date first listed:
13-Nov-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1314662.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 19:59:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Maltby
National Grid Reference:
SK 52767 91883

Details

MALTBY CHURCH LANE SK59SW (south end) 3/42 Church of Saint Bartholomew 13.11.59 GV II* Church. C11 and C15 tower, otherwise 1859 by P. Boyce. Magnesian limestone laid in herringbone fashion to tower and as snecked rubble to C19 work, ashlar spire; Welsh slate roof. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel with south vestry and north organ chamber projections. C19 work in Gothic Revival style with geometrical tracery. Tower: Cll, 3 stages. Large sandstone quoins, partly replaced in limestone; C19 four-light west window with trefoiled lights; original round-headed openings to north and south now blind; band and offset to 2nd stage having round-headed windows to 3 sides; band and offset beneath altered 2-light belfry openings with C15 cusped heads, upper part of 3rd stage rebuilt C15 and given oversailing, embattled parapet and recessed octagonal spire pierced by quatrefoils and with small lucarnes. Nave: south porch on left with clasping buttresses flanking a trefoil-headed doorway beneath coped gable. Aisle on right has moulded plinth and sill band to quoined 2-light windows with foiled lights; gable copings. Chancel: lower. Angle buttresses flank 5-light east window with hoodmould. Stepped lancet to bay 2 on south; gabled vestry projection on its left has buttresses flanking a circular, plate tracery window in pointed recess. North organ chamber, as vestry, has eastern lean-to with shouldered-arched door. Gable copings with east cross. Interior: C19 moulded tower arch. Aisle arcades have cylindrical piers, moulded capitals and chamfered arches of 2 orders. Chancel arch: keel- moulded, of 2 orders, hoodmould with head-carved stops; double-chamfered arch into organ chamber; 2 trefoil-headed arches to vestry beneath chamfered arch. Sedilia: 3 seats divided by slender shafts to stepped-lancet head. Font: late medieval octagonal bowl on later shaft. Monuments: late C18 wall monuments beneath tower, 3 have broken pediments, 1 as a cartouche, the other a corniced panel with flat obelisk. Brasses in vestry to William Fretwell (d1700) and John Fretwell (1725); wall plaque to Thomas Fretwell (d1753). P. F. Ryder, Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, County Archaeology Monograph No 2, 1982, p84-87.



Listing NGR: SK5276791883

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
335917
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ryder, P F, 'South Yorkshire County Archaeological Monograph' in Saxon Churches in South Yorkshire, , Vol. 2, (1982), 84-87

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07421/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Paul Eggleston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].