SANDBECK PARK (HOUSE)
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- SANDBECK PARK (HOUSE)
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1314665 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 17:35:11.
- Statutory Address:
- SANDBECK PARK (HOUSE)
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 56901 90269
MALTBY SANDBECK PARK
4/55 Sandbeck Park (house)
13.11.59 (formerly listed as
Country house. Core of c1626 encased and extended c1760 by James Paine for
the 4th Earl of Scarbrough; later additions, interior remodelling of 1857 by
William Burn for the 9th Earl. Ashlar magnesian limestone, roof not visible.
3 storeys with basement, 9 x 5 bays. In Palladian style. Entrance front to
west: 1:2:3:2:1 bays, the central and outer bays breaking forward. Single-
storey C19 entrance hall in extension from centre has vestibule of 1906 with
Doric portico beneath central pediment with arms in tympanum flanked by
shield-bearing griffins; rebated, rounded front corners; balustraded parapet
with ball finials having bands. 3-bay returns with 4-pane sashes flanking
pilastered central bays which break forward. Main range has plinth and
rusticated ground floor; sashes with glazing bars beneath flat arches.
Attached to the front left corner is a balustrade which screens remains of
the basement wall of the C19 service wing. lst floor: moulded string courses
and moulded sill band to taller sashes with glazing bars, the outer bays with
balustraded aprons and corniced architraves, the others with cornices only.
Taller, round-headed central window with pilasters and archivolt.
2nd floor: 6-pane sashes, the central 3 windows smaller. Modillioned cornice
rising as pediments over central and outer bays, the central tympanum with
pelican carved on a medallion. Balustraded parapet with C20 fibreglass urns.
Tall corniced stacks flank the 2-bay recesses. Rear least front): basement
storey with rack-faced rustication and 6-pane sashes. Outer bays as front
but with corniced architraves to all lst-f1oor windows, bays 1 and 9 with
consoles. Central pediment extended aver a Corinthian portico having
balustraded quadrant staircases rising to an arcaded loggia with round arches
having shaped keystones 1st-floor string course and balustraded plinth
beneath giant columns rising to a pedimented entablature bearing carving by
William Collins of Ceres resting on the Lumley arms. Right return (south
front): 1:3:1 bays, the central 3 bays canted and with taller ground-floor
sashes, the central bay with open segmental pediment; sash above with
corniced architrave, the others plain.
Interior: illustrated and described at length elsewhere (Girouard, 1965).
Cantilevered stone staircase, off the entrance hall, has curved iron
balusters and wreathed wooden handrail; compartmented ceiling above. Room to
ground-floor right (originally the sitting room) has fireplace with caryatids
and relief tablet beneath cornice. Dining room to centre rear with C19
scheme including Ionic screen and heavy cornice. Of particular interest is
the central C17 lst-floor gallery extending the full depth of the house with
C18 scheme by James Paine having Ionic-columned fireplace with pastoral scene
on tablet attributed to William Collins; 4 ornate doorcases; outstanding
coved ceiling with Rococo and Neo-Classical motifs thought to be by Joseph
Rose the elder. Bedrooms flanking the gallery each have a segmentally-arched
bed recess flanked by Ionic columns and panelled doors.
The 1st recorded house at Sandbeck was built in 1626 for Sir Nicholas
Saunderson. Sandbeck passed to Thomas Lumley later 3rd Earl of
Scarbrough who died in 1752. The 4th Earl employed Paine to remodel the C17
house thus incorporating the lst-floor gallery unusual in a house of the mid
C18. A C19 service wing linking the house to Sandbeck Chapel (q.v.) was
demolished in 1954.
T. W. Beastall, A North Country Estate, 1974.
M. Girouard, 'Sandbeck Park, Yorkshire I-III', Country Life, Oct 7th, 14th,
N. Pevsner, B.O.E., 1967 ed, p429-430.
Listing NGR: SK5690190269
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Beastall, T W , A North Country Estate, (1974)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)
'Country Life' in 14 October, (1965)
'Country Life' in 7 October, (1965)
'Country Life' in 21 October, (1965)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 South Yorkshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing