CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1314821
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1314821.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 20:58:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Armthorpe
National Grid Reference:
SE 62192 04891

Details

SOUTH YORKSHIRE DONCASTER 5096 SE60SW ARMTHORPE CHURCH STREET (south side) 3/1 Church of St. Mary 5th June 1968 (formerly listed as Church of St. Leonard). - II Church. C11, C12 and C15 restored and extended 1885 for patron Lord Auckland of Edenthorpe. Cement rendered, graduated slate roofs. 3-bay nave with north aisle and west belfry, narrower 2-bay chancel with north chapel and C20 north vestry. Nave: exposed quoins. C19 porch on left has chamfered, pointed arch with hoodmould beneath coped gable with cross; c1200 south doorway within has old door beneath chamfered, 2-order round arch with renewed shafts and plain hood. On left of porch is a restored, round-headed slit window; on right a C15, cusped, square-headed 3-light window flanked by C12 round-headed slit windows; to their right a square-headed, ogee- traceried, single-light window. Ashlar gable copings with east cross; square belfry with louvred sides and shingle-covered pyramidal roof. C19 west window of 3 cusped lights beneath square head with hoodmould; gable slit. Separately-roofed north aisle of 1885 has chamfered plinth and Tudor-arched, 3-light west window with hoodmould; square-headed north windows of 2 and 3 lights. Chancel: lower and with quoins as nave. Small priests door with chamfered, quoined surround and ogee-soffit lintel; on its left a square- headed, ogee-traceried, single-light window; on right a similar window of 2 lights. C19 east window of 3 lights with pointed, hollow-chamfered surround and hoodmould; ashlar gable copings with cross. Chapel set back on right has a square-headed 3-light window with cusping and hoodmould. Interior: pointed medieval diaphragm arch on corbels beneath belfry; deep embrasures to the Cl2 south windows. C19 north arcade with octagonal piers and moulded capitals to double-chamfered arches. Chancel arch: probably C11; plain round arch with chamfered imposts, that on south carved with crosses and zig-zag motif; lancet-headed piscina with square bowl. Monuments: wall monument in north aisle to George Cooke Yarborough of Streethorpe (d.1818); grey marble panel with inscription on white tablet beneath cornice on consoles, by Lockwood of Doncaster. Another to George Cooke of Carr House (d.1892).

Listing NGR: SE6219204891

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
334699
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/15949/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].