CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1314824
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1314824.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 19:40:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Bawtry
National Grid Reference:
SK 65325 92992

Details

SK69SE BAWTRY CHURCH STREET (east side) 10/8 Church of St. Nicholas 5th June 1968 GV I Church. c1200, C14, C15, altered and tower rebuilt early C18. Ashlar magnesian limestone, lead roofs. West tower, aisled 3-bay nave with 2-bay chancel under same roof having south chapel, north organ chamber and vestry in continuations of aisles. Tower: rebuilt 1712-13; Gothic Survival. Chamfered plinth and moulded band; offset angle buttresses. West side: segmentally-arched door beneath pointed 3-light window with mouchettes and hoodmould; 2nd stage has blind-traceried square window; 3rd stage has clock across a string course; pointed, 2-light belfry openings each with louvres, cusping and quatrefoil beneath hoodmould. String course below embattled parapet with corner waterspouts and 8 crocketed pinnacles. Nave: south aisle has chamfered plinth, moulded band and offset buttresses between bays. Moulded-arched doorway to bay 1; cusped Tudor-arched 3-light window to bay 2 and cusped square-headed 3-light window to bay 3. Moulded eaves cornice and coped parapet to west. Clerestory has deeply-recessed 2-light mullioned windows and chamfered eaves band. North aisle: rubble walled; buttress on right of a blocked c1200 north door with shafted jambs, carved capitals and roll-moulded arch with hoodmould; to left of door a square-headed 2-light window with moulded surround and shouldered lights; buttress to left has a similar blocked window now cut by a blocked, narrow 2-centred-arched doorway with monarchs carved on hoodmould stops. Rebuilt clerestory with C20 2-light mullioned windows. Chancel: south chapel detailed as rest of aisle; similar clerestory but with broader windows, those to bays 2 and 3 with Y-tracery. North aisle has round-arched vestry door with head-carved hoodmould stops on left of a partly-blocked 2-light, square-headed window now with image niche; to organ chamber on right is a buttress and a plain square-headed 4-light window. Chancel has rendered east end with later plain mullions to a C13 pointed, 3-light window with hoodmould having carved-head stops and dog-tooth ornament; south chapel window as rest; c1300 3-light window to north vestry has intersecting tracery with head-carved hoodmould stops. Interior: pointed, 3-order tower arch. North arcade, c1200: round piers with octagonal capitals to unrestored double-chamfered arches with plain hoodmoulds; square western respond has mask on corbel. Perpendicular south arcade: octagonal piers with less massive octagonal capitals and arches. Round-arched recess in position of north door. Nave roof: moulded, cambered tie beams and moulded purlins, uncarved bosses. Chancel: north arcade has 2 double chamfered arches. South arcade has quatrefoil pier with fillets and octagonal capital to 2 double-chamfered arches. East window has keeled shafts in the jambs and nailhead ornament. Ogee-headed piscina. Roof: as nave but with one carved boss. Fittings: Late C18 wrought-iron screen to South chapel. Painted Coat of Arms beneath tower dated 1685; also 2 boards with The 10 Commandments. Stained glass: east window by Kempe, c1902. Monuments: numerous late C18-early C19 wall monuments above arcades. Of note that to Robert Shaw (d.1770) has plaque with vase in broken pediment; also that to Jonathan Acklon (d.1700) which has a winged cherub and roses at foot of a marble cartouche with alms and helm; monument to the Cooke family to north of chancel has cherub beneath cartouche.

Listing NGR: SK6532692989

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
334706
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/10384/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Clayton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].