CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1315980
Date first listed:
12-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1315980 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 16:45:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Skelton
National Grid Reference:
SE 56849 56557

Details

SE 55 NE SKELTON THE GREEN (north side)

4/80 Church of St Giles (formerly listed as Church of All Saints)

GV I

Church. c1240 with restorations of 1814-18 by Henry Graham and 1863 by Ewan Christian. Probably by the masons of the south transept of York Minster. Magnesian Limestone, Westmorland slate. 2-bay aisled nave and single-bay aisled chancel with bellcote at junction. West front: nave and aisles divided by buttresses, with dogtooth string course at sill level which runs round whole of facade. Central lancet with nook-shafts with annulets and dogtooth decoration beneath oculus. Aisles: lancets with dogtooth to hoodmoulds. Low angle buttresses. South porch: exact C19 copy of original pointed doorway of 4 orders with stiff leaf capitals and dogtooth decoration. South aisle: 2 very narrow lancets flanking a priests' door. North aisle: 3 very narrow lancets with blocked doorway opposite south porch. East end: triple stepped lancets with collared shafts and dogtoothdecorated beneath vesica flanked by buttresses lancets to aisles and angle buttresses. Interior: tall pointed arcades of 2 chamfered orders on filleted quadripartite piers with similar chancel arch. The external string course is echoed inside as are the nook-shafts are of original Purbeck marble. Contemporary font with facetted decoration. Memorials. Tomlinson Bunting, died 1768. White tablet on grey mount with shell motif below and orange marble frieze carrying pediment with arms. Joseph and Sarah Hotham, erected by Sir Richard Hotham in 1791. White shield. Grey mount with shield to base. This is a particularly fine and complete example of C13 church building. Pevsner N, Yorkshire: the North Riding, 1966. Wilson,C, O'Connor D and Thompson M, St Giles Skelton, A Brief Guide, 1978. Christian E Architectural Illustrations of Skelton Church, Yorkshire, 1846.

Listing NGR: SE5684956555

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
328614
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Christian, E , Architectural Illustrations of Skelton Church Yorkshire, (1846)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966)
Wilson, , O'Connor, , Thompson, , St Giles Skelton A Brief Guide, (1978)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06109/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].