CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1316041
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ANSERDALE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1316041.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2019 at 01:57:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, ANSERDALE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Ryedale (District Authority)
Parish:
Lastingham
National Park:
NORTH YORK MOORS
National Grid Reference:
SE 72808 90452

Details

LASTINGHAM ANSERDALE LANE NORTH YORKSHIRE RYEDALE 5340 SE 7290 (south-west side, off) 12/94 Church of St Mary 14.7.55 - I Church. Founded in 1078 as the church of a Benedictine monastery by Stephen of Whitby. Became parochial in 1228 when the unfinished fabric of the original church was adapted and incorporated into the new church. Crypt, chancel and apse date from 1078-85; early C13 west wall and nave arcades incorporate crossing piers from the originally-planned cruciform church with crossing tower and transepts; C14 tower; porch largely of 1879. Some restoration of 1828 by John Jackson; clerestory and vault of 1879 by J L Pearson. Coursed squared sandstone, raised in dressed sandstone, with sandstone ashlar dressings. Lead roofs with stone flagged tower roof. West tower; aisled nave with clerestory, of 2 double bays on either side of original crossing piers; south porch; chancel and apse. Tower: 2-stage, embattled tower on double chamfered plinth with diagonal offset buttresses. To lower stage, west window of 2 trefoil-headed lights beneath panel tracery in square-headed surround. Bell stage openings are paired louvred lights with trefoil heads beneath flat hoodmoulds. Moulded string courses between stages and beneath parapet. Saddleback roof. In the nave west wall on either side of the tower triple responds with cushion capitals incorporated from the original church. West end of south aisle has a window of paired foiled lights beneath a flat hoodmould with floral stops. South side: gabled porch with dwarf diagonal offset buttresses has round-arched opening on slim shafts beneath crocketed hoodmould. Chamfered south doorway with plain imposts, chamfered on lower side. On porch west return is an oval sandstone plaque by J Flintoft commemorating its earlier restoration by J Jackson in 1838-39. To east of porch are 2 windows of paired cusped lights with mouchettes above, in square-headed chamfered surrounds, separated by dwarf offset buttress. Faint remains of a mass clock are visible on the buttress. Single light with quatrefoil tracery further to east. East end of aisle has a pointed window of 3 trefoil-headed lights beneath curvilinear tracery and corbel-stopped hoodmould. Embattled parapet to aisle. Clerestory has C19 lancets beneath rolled hoodmoulds on headstops, on either side of a gabled buttress. Corbel table and plain parapet. North side: 5 offset buttresses, the easternmost adapted to a chimney stack. 2-centred chamfered doorway to west. To east, 2 windows of paired foiled lights in square-headed surrounds, the easternmost with a flat hoodmould to which one head-stop survives. East end of aisle has a single round-headed chamfered window. Plain coped parapet to aisle. Clerestory repeats details of south side. Chancel, both sides: round-arched niches with plain imposts at crypt level. Round-headed windows in quoined openings further to west, with arched motif sill band on south side, and plait motif to north. Restored corbel table of masks, fleurons, dogtooth and other mouldings. West end: 3- bay apse with stepped-back round-arched windows separated by full-height pilaster buttresses. Centre bay contains a trefoil-headed window at crypt level. Billet-moulded sill band to apse windows. Corbel table continuing from chancel. Half-conical roof. Coped gables and gable crosses to porch, nave and chancel. Interior. Crypt: 3-bay aisled nave, chancel and apse. Nave: round-arched, groin-vaults spring from 4 squat cylindrical columns on square stepped bases. Columns have plain imposts, chamfered on lower side, and varied capitals. One has a plain cushion capital; 3 have volutes, and 2 have bands of moulding - one a band of interlaced arcading and one a form of upright leaf. Round chancel arch springs from half cylindrical responds with voluted cushion capitals and plain imposts. Unmoulded apse arch springs from the ground. Single rounded light in deep splay to east end. Similar small lights to east end of each aisle. Sculpture: 2 carved cross heads, one of late C8 or early C9, the other of early C9. Two C8 or C9 pieces of a carved doorway, one with a stylised grape and scroll motif. C10 cross shaft carved with interlace and key motifs. C10 hogback gravestone carved with a bear. Cll cross shaft with key carvings. Medieval moorland cross known as Ain Howe Cross which preceeded the replacement Ana Cross which stands on Spaunton Moor close to the Lastingham-Spaunton parish boundary. Nave: terminated to west by tall, narrow tower arch of 2 chamfered orders springing from quoined jambs. 2-bay north and south arcades of double-chamfered pointed arches on keeled quatrefoil piers with plain capitals. The west responds form the inner parts of the piers for the original crossing tower, the outer parts of which are visible in the exterior of the west wall. Base of south-west respond has faintly-visible plait moulding. Similar piers with voluted cushion capitals form the intermediate piers to arcades. Impost to east face of south-east pier retains traces of interlace, plait and foliate moulding. A tall round arch of 2 orders springs from these piers. 2 similar bays of arcading are repeated to east of the intermediate piers, the end bays now blocked by the vestry to the north and the organ chamber to the south. Round chancel arch of 2 orders, the inner order springing from half cylindrical responds with voluted cushion capitals. Chancel and apse: tall round arch of 2 orders, the outer roll-moulded, separates the chancel from the apse. Round-headed single lights, stepped back, flanked by nook-shafts with voluted cushion capitals and impost band. Moulded capitals to the arch piers continue to form a cornice to the apse. Groin vaulted roof to nave, choir and chancel. Semi-hemispherical roof to apse. Painting: at west end of north aisle, 'The Agony in the Garden', after Correggio, by John Jackson, RA, born in Lastingham 1778. Monuments: 2 wall tablets by Bennet and Flintoft in the north aisle, to members of the Shepherd family of Douthwaite, dated respectively c1820 and c1827. Wall monument by J Flintoft to John Jackson, RA., died 1831, in the south aisle. Behind the south-east pier is a beautifully carved Calvary captured from a Spanish warship, the 'Salvador del Mundi', and subsequently donated to the church. A monastery was founded at Lastingham by St Cedd in 654, and subsequently destroyed by invading Danes. In 1078 Stephen of Whitby refounded the monastery and began building the abbey church, substantial portions of which were standing when the site was abandoned about 1085. The church stood incomplete until c1228 when it was adopted as the parish church of the village of Lastingham. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, The North Riding, 1966: pp 224-6; pl 10 (a). L Stone, Sculpture in Britain in the Middle Ages, 1955, p 53. Introductory Guide to the Church The Ancient Crypt Church of St Mary Lastingham, 1982

Listing NGR: SE7280990455

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
328931
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Ancient Crypt Church of St Mary Lastingham, (1982)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966), 224-6
Stone, L, 'Pelican History of Art' in Sculpture in Britain in the Middle Ages, (1955), 53

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03573/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].