Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1316111.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jun-2021 at 10:43:55.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Yorkshire
Scarborough (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 94291 82127



13/9 Church of All Saints


- I

Church. C14 west tower and nave; C15 arcade, south aisle and chancel; south porch of 1895 in memory of Sir George Cayley. Dressed sandstone with slate roof. West tower; 3-bay aisled nave; south porch; chancel and north chapel. The 3-stage tower has diagonal off-set buttresses and a north-east vice. Single light to lowest stage of west face, and single square-headed lights to the second stage. Bell-openings are paired ogee-arched lights beneath pointed stopped hood-moulds. Octagonal broach spire with lucarnes and weather-vane. Embattled gabled porch has diagonal buttresses and 2-centred arched opening beneath pointed hood-mould. Fine C14 studded and traceried south door. Nave: 3-light Perpendicular windows. Buttressed north wall incorporates portions of C13 masonry and a pointed doorway with imposts, one with foliate moulding. 3 square-headed 2-light windows. Chancel: 3-light Perpendicular windows to south; 2-light windows with renewed tracery to north. Rebuilt east window of 3 lights. To the north of the window a C13 standing figure and a C14 seated figure have been reset in the masonry. The north and south aisles and north chapel have embattled parapets; the parapet to the nave south side and the chancel is plain. Coped east gable and gable cross. Interior:.on the ground stage of the tower, springers for an uncompleted vault survive. Narrow, pointed tower arch. Nave and chancel arcade of double-chamfered pointed arches on octagonal piers with plain capitals. Pointed chancel arch on half-octagonal responds. At the east end of the south aisle two C12 scalloped capitals have been set into the wall. Well-preserved painted organ case and gallery of 1893 by Temple Moore. C13 circular font with traces of cable moulding on a cylindrical pedestal. Monuments. North aisle: a tablet dated 1580 to James Westrop; a wall brass to Elizabeth Cayley, d1688. South aisle: wall monument to various members of the Sawdon family who died between 1782 and 1820, by C Fisher of York; wall tablet to Ann Harland, d1844, by Matthew Noble. Chancel south wall: elaborate wall monument in high relief with broken pedimented surround and Latin inscription to Sir William Cayley, d1681; bust to Elizabeth Sarah Cayley, d1805, by Chambers of Scarborough. Stained glass: a window in the south wall of the chancel, of 1885, which is a precise rendering of Raphael's "Sermon of St Paul at Athens" from the Sistine Cartoons. William Wordsworth was married in this church to Mary Hutchinson, on 4 October 1802. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Yorkshire, The North Riding, 1966; p89.

Listing NGR: SE9429282129


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966), 89


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04902/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Alan Curtis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].