CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1316455
Date first listed:
24-Oct-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH CLIFF DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1316455 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 23:27:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH CLIFF DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Scarborough (District Authority)
Parish:
Filey
National Grid Reference:
TA 11778 81065

Details

TA 11 81 FILEY CHURCH CLIFF DRIVE (south-east side, off)

10/6 Church of St Oswald 24.10.50

GV I

Church. C12 and C13 with C15 battlements; restored and partly rebuilt in 1885 by W S Barber; roof partly rebuilt in 1908 after a fire; C19 south porch; C20 vestry and north porch. Dressed sandstone; slate and lead roofs. 6-bay aisled nave with clerestory, transepts and crossing tower, chancel and north and south porches. 2-stage, embattled crossing tower with 2-light pointed bell openings under a round-headed arch; countinuous sill band. South door to nave of four orders with moulded round arches interrupted by later inserted stoup. Vertical slit window in west end, originally intended to light a west tower stair turret. Impost band to aisles and nave. Transepts have stepped angle buttresses and a continuous sill band. Chancel has a pointed Priest's Door under a corbelled dripmould in south wall, with a mass clock and C17 bronze sundial inscribed in Greek to the right. Group of 3 stepped lancets in the east end, under a continuous hoodmould. Diagonal butresses. Lancet windows throughout, those in the chancel and transepts dating from C12/C13, the remainder from C19. Embattled parapet over corbel table throughout. Interior: nave arcades have tripartite responds with the middle shaft keeled, alternating round and octagonal piers with moulded capitals and chamfered pointed arches. Deeply-splayed round- headed clerestory openings; similar openings at west end of north aisle. Sedilia with trefoil head to chancel and south transept; piscina to each transept. Other furnishings include; a late C13 carved wooden figure in the south aisle; a sealed altar slab carved with 5 crosses in the sanctuary; a C13 plain bowl font on a cylindrical shaft; a hatchment over the north door.

Listing NGR: TA1177581068

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
326943
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00853/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Mason. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].