Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of BARDEN TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1317012.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 18:07:19.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Yorkshire
Craven (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
SE 05093 57198


BARDEN B (6160 SE 05 NE (east side) 6/31 Barden Tower


GV 1

Fortified house, now ruinous. Mid C16, restored in l658-9. Ashlar and rubblestone. Rectangular in plan, an L-shaped addition to the south-east corner. Main house: 3 storeys, 4 bays. Small chamfered four-centred arched doorway to left of bay 2 with tablet above bearing inscription "This Barden Tower was repayred by the Ladie Anne Clifforde Countesse Dowager of Pembrooke, Dorsett and Montgomery Baronesse Clifforde Westmorland and Vescie. Lady of the Honor of Skipton in Craven and High Sherriffesse by inheritance of Countie of Westmorland in the years 1658 and 1659 after it had layne ruinous ever since about 1589 when her mother then lay in itt and was greate with child with her till nowe that itt was repayred by the said Lady. Isa Chap 58 Ver 12 'Gods Home be praised.". Left-hand bay has a lancet. Bays 2 and 4 have chamfered openings of large 3-light windows with hoodmoulds and relieving arches. The bay between is flanked by remains of walls and has a large double-chamfered, four-centred arched opening. First floor: left bay has a chamfered 2-light mullioned window with four-centred arched heads to lights, hoodmould. Bays 2 and 4 have similar large 3-light windows. To bay 3 a large plain four-centred arched opening. Second floor: openings are ruinous and open at the top, except that to bay 3 which is of one light. Left return: external stack to right of chamfered 4-centred arched door. To left a squared chamfered opening, to right of stack a chamfered opening. Above 2 chamfered lancets above a 2-light chamfered mullioned window with four-centred arched lights, hoodmould. Similar window above of 3 lights. Right return: similar. Rear: ruinous with small rectangular openings. L-shaped addition: 3 storeys, bays. Left-hand bay set back, chamfered doorway, chamfered 2-light windows above, one over the other. Right-hand bay: blind. Band, parapet. Rear: large external stack. A late medieval tower house of Lord Clifford, 'the shepherd Lord'; of interest as a small fortification with domestic amenities. Also a scheduled ancient monument (Yorkshire, West Riding) No 123.

Listing NGR: SE0504857203


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08578/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Margaret Gibson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].