PARISH CHURCH OF ST VINCENT
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- PARISH CHURCH OF ST VINCENT, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1317320.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 07-Mar-2021 at 12:49:21.
- Statutory Address:
- PARISH CHURCH OF ST VINCENT, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Kesteven (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 93894 48566
SK 9248-9348 CAYTHORPE CHURCH LANE
8/40 Parish Church of St Vincent 20-9-66 G.V. I
Parish Church. C13, C14, C16, C17, C18, 1860 addition and restoration by Sir G. G. Scott. Nave, north aisle, central tower, north and south aisle 'stubs', chancel. Coursed and banded ironstone and limestone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings, slate roofs. West end of banded ironstone and limestone, ashlar dressings, and ashlar in gable. 3 buttresses and 2 geometric decorated 3-light windows with pointed heads. The buttresses have panelled and crocketed finials and at the top of the central buttress is a carving of the Annunciation with lower down a statue niche with a trefoil head and crocketed gable. Late C14 ogee headed door with human mask label stops in the south side of the west front, cusping on the underside of the head with grotesque masks and shield and dragon motifs on the spandrels. The west wall of Sir G. G. Scott's north aisle has a 4 light window in the late C13 geometric style to match the rest. The aisle is also built in a version of banded work, and there are 4 3-light windows in its south wall with geometric tracery; there is a further similar 2 light window in the east wall. The stub of the late C13 north transept has a C15 4 light perpendicular window in an original pointed C13 arched opening. North side of the tower has 12 light reticulated window with quatrefoil over in the belfry stage, surmounted by a curvilinear geometric parapet with 2 projecting gargoyles. The angles of the tower have set back stepped buttresses. The recessed octagonal crocketed spire has 4 tiers of alternating flush octagonal lucarnes, and is supported by 4 heavily pinnacled flying buttresses which span from the angles of the tower,and which are pierced by quatrefoils and mouchettes. The north wall of the chancel, which is also in irregular banded work, was probably rebuilt in the C19, and has a 2 light window with geometric tracery of that date. East wall of chancel has a curiously shaped 5 light window in a C15 style, which in its foreshortening closely fits the C19 reredos inside, and is probably of that date in its present form. The east and south walls of the chancel were rebuilt in the C19 above the band at sill level. Trefoil headed C13 door and a C19 2 light window in south wall of chancel and a stair turret in the angle between the south transept stub and the chancel wall. South trancept has a geometric 4 light window with a pointed head and a C19 pointed headed door. South wall of nave has 2 4-light windows, both originally geometric, but the more easterly has perpendicular tracery in its head. Beneath the same window are 2 C15 windows, one of a single light, and the other of 2 lights, both with cusped heads and segmental hood moulds. Central buttress has a trefoil headed statue niche with crocketed gable and a carved panel above. Nave wall has gargoyles projecting from a plain parapet. The westernmost buttress on the south side also has a trefoil headed crocketed statue niche. South porch in ashlar with plinth and banded work above, C14 with a pointed moulded arch in the outer face, side benches. South door has a cusped head surmounted by a slightly ogee headed hood mould and a croketed gable containing a seated figure of the Virgin which is flanked by pinnacles which are cut by the porch roof. Inside, the C13 nave is divided down the middle by a 2 1/2 bay arcade supported on slender octagonal piers with circular capitals. The arches are double chamfered and end in simple stop chamfers. The north arcade is C19 and has similar details, but for the incongruously decorated Southwell-style lable stops. The crossing arch is C13, pointed and moulded and has five shafts connected by deep hollows, and the middle one filleted, arches of three sunk waves. In the east wall of the nave south of the tower arch the ogee head of a door into the rood loft can be seen behind the Hussey monument. Also in the east wall, above the tower arch, traces of early plaster, now whitewashed, are all that remains to mark the position of a Doom painting which was apparently visible earlier in the C20. Doors into the rood loft in the west and east walls of the south transept. The chancel has good C19 stained glass. All the fittings are C19, though seven figured corbels and the principal timbers of the nave roof and the decorative bosses on the later south half of the nave roof are apparently C14. Font is C19 octagonal and chalice shaped. Monuments: on the east nave wall south of the tower arch is one to Sir Charles Hussey, d. 1664, with an open scrolled pediment, a cartouche bearing painted arms and a portrait bust, all marble. North of the tower arch a marble plaque to Sir Edward Hussey bart., d. 1724, with cartouche of painted arms, and cherub head with garland. On the south wall of the chancel is the achievement of arms of Lord Hussey, executed at Lincoln in 1538, consisting of helm, crest, gauntlets and spurs; all save the helm look original. At the west end of the south wall of the nave is a crude wall plaque of 1729 with an architectural pediment supported on Tuscan columns to the memory of Thomas Dawson, Gent.. At the west end of the nave is a C17 pillar type poor box with a contemporary painted board.
Listing NGR: SK9389148568
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing