CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1317449.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 10:11:37.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Kesteven (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 93290 41524
SK 94 SW
CHURCH STREET (south side)
Church of St Nicholas G.V. I
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, C18 restored 1865 and 1887. Limestone and ironstone coursed rubble, ashlar, plain tiled and lead roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, south porch. C13 ironstone tower of three stages divided by chamfered string courses, moulded plinth base, three stepped buttresses against west wall. Door on south side has round C19 head, window in lowest storey on west side has C12 details but is probably a reconstruction of the C18 with nook shafts, round head with label stops and a wavy line in the outer arch. One C13 pointed head window in the middle stage on the south side with human head above the centre of the hood mould which has beast head label stops. Belfry lights are paired beneath monolithic tympana with plain hood moulds above, mid wall shafts with simple chamfered capitals. Top of tower is castellated and supported on corbels, C14 projecting gargoyles at the angles with pinnacles above. Recessed C14 octagonal crocketed spire with paired trefoil headed lucarnes beneath quatrefoils and decorated gables at the base and above four alternating single light trefoil headed windows with decorated gables. North wall of the nave has two 3 light C15 windows with trefoil heads with irregular quatrefoils above, all beneath a pointed head with chamfered hood moulds. The north door in the Transitional style with chamfered irregular quatrefoils above, all beneath pointed head with chamfered jambs, rudimentary capitals, a pointed head with a chevron moulded hood mould. 4 stepped buttresses. Eastwards is an early C16 3 light window with a 4 centred arch over with deep concave moulding, no drip mould. The roof has a parapet with 2 hacked off gargoyles. The chancel north wall was rebuilt in 1887 but has a reset C13 2 light window with a monolithic tympanum and champfered hood mould. Beneath are 5 fragments of worked stone: one a C13 cross fleury, probably from a tombstone, the others are probably C14 with incised flaring armed crosses. The east wall of the south aisle has a plinth and a fine light C15 window with cusped trefoil headed lights beneath 4 centred arches, debased mouchettes at the centre and framed by double concave mouldings with moulded drip mould. Angle buttresses on the aisle with above a parapet of tight cupsed lozenges containing shields; angles surmounted by pinnacles with a gargoyle on the south eastern angle. South wall of the aisle has a 2 light C15 cusped trefoil headed window beneath a four centred arch with moulded drip mould. There is a four centred arched door way, of which the upper stones are C19, but the bases of the jambs with stop chamfered appear C15. Westwards is a wide 3 light C14 window with four centred arched heads and over arch with moulded hood mould. Western part of the south aisle is C14 and retains a 2 light pointed head window with trefoil heads lights surmounted by cusped trilobes, simple chamfered hood mould over. The south porch is C15, and cuts two C14 trefoil cusped trefoil headed niches, now empty which are surmounted by deeply moulded hood moulds which rise to ogee, points with floriated finials. A string course, now hacked back flush with the wall, originally ran across the south wall at sill level and the whole must have been an elaborate scheme. The porch has angled buttresses, a simple parapet and two pinnacles. The door is pointed with two chamfers and moulded hood mould, rudimentary octagonal capitals. Over the door is a rectangular plaque set in a chamfered frame with a C15 latin dedicatory inscription in Lombardic letters commemorating Thomas Pacy. West end of south aisle in ashlar has a three light C14 window matching that in the south wall, with to the south a cusped trefoil headed niche with an ogee head similar to those cut by the porch. South porch has side benches. South door is C14 with a pointed head and roll moulded angles, the capitals run out to form stepped string courses. The moulded hood mould is surmounted by an ogee headed niche. C15 Lombardic lettered graffito beneath string course to west of the door. Inside, a Transitional C13 3 bay south arcade with round pillars on circular bases with annular capitals and pointed arches of two chamfered orders with hobnail decorated hood moulds. The C13 tower arch has three chamfered orders with hobnail decoration on the chamfered capitals and a chamfered hood mould above with beast head label stops. Above the tower arch is a door with a flat lintel over beneath the C15 roof scar. C13 tomb recess in south aisle and in the south wall of the chapel at the east end of the aisle is a C14 cusped trefoil headed piscina with lobed basin. C15 chancel arch is tall with engaged octagonal jambs, moulded capitals with human heads with an arch of two chamfered orders above. South of the chancel arch is a three light window with a flat lintel over and three trefoil headed lights with ogee arches. To the north is a C14 ogee headed doorway into the rood loft over with a C15 four centred arched opening above. The chancel screen is good C19 work. Chancel heavily restored in 1887 but in the south wall the eastern reveal of a C13 pointed window is cut by C15 insertion of a wide four centred archway into the now vanised south chapel; this space now occupied by the organ. Piscina and sedilia all C19, but might reflect the original arrangement. C13 tomb recess in the north wall within the sanctuary. All glass and fittings C19 apart from C15 octagonal chalice shaped font. Two fragments of C14 recumbent effigies are built into the blocking of the north door of the nave; one a priest in vestments, the other a laymen, each beneath trefoil heads, the latter having censing angels in the spandrels.
Listing NGR: SK9329041524
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing