HORNBY CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1317655
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1967
Statutory Address:
HORNBY CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HORNBY CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1317655.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 01:17:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
HORNBY CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Hornby-with-Farleton
National Grid Reference:
SD 58756 68580

Details

HORNBY-WITH-FARLETON SD 56 NE

7/95 Hornby Castle 4-10-1967 GV I

Large house, with early C16th keep on earlier foundations, early C18th south-west front completely re-modelled in a domestic Gothic style in 1849-52 by Sharpe and Paley, with further additions and alterations in 1881 and 1889-91 by Paley and Austin. Sandstone rubble with slate roofs. On an irregular plan, with a broad entrance front behind which lies the hall, and a tapered courtyard behind containing the keep and closed by a further tower. South-west facade is a balanced composition with central 3-storey porch and with wings projecting at each side,all with embattled parapets. The windows are mullioned or mullioned and transomed, with round heads to the lights. The projecting wings have 2-storey bay windows, canted on the 1st floor only. The left hand one has 2 2nd-floor windows above the bay, each with cusped Y-tracery and pointed head. To each side of the porch are 2 bays with windows of varied type. The porch has a diagonal buttress to the right and an octagonal turret to the left. On the 1st floor is an oriel window of semi circular plan. At the rear of the front block the lower part of the tower has been revealed by C20 - demolitions and has a mutilated lst-floor oriel window. The upper storey was re-modelled in the mid C19, but below it are 2 blocked 2-light mullioned windows with hoods. The north-east wall of the tower has an early C17 Venetian window, partly blocked, and a stone with motto: 'Glav et gant'. There is also a stone carved with an eagle's claw: the keep was rebuilt by the 1st Lord Monteagle. The north-west facade dates from the later C19 rebuilding, On the north-east side the rear courtyard is entered through a gateway with moulded pointed arch. Interior. The porch contains a vestibule with a plaster vault with foliated bosses. It is divided from the hall by a Tudor arch containing a glazed timber screen in a Gothic style. The hall fireplace is of sandstone, with a Tudor arch and spandrel decoration. The left-hand room is a library, with woodwork said to be by Gillows, including a fireplace surround and overmantel, and fitted bookcases, with elaborate carving in a late C16 style.The main staircase was removed in the C20. The present stair is of.dog-leg type with turned balusters. On the 1st floor is a billard room decorated in a Gothic style. VCH Vol.8 pp 196-198. - -

Listing NGR: SD5875668580

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
182390
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1914), 196-198

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12185/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Hyde. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].