CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1317663
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1317663.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2021 at 15:54:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Tatham
National Grid Reference:
SD 60594 69421

Details

SD 66 NW TATHAM

2/74 Church of St.James (formerly listed as 4-10-1967 Church of St James the Less) GV II*

Church, Cl5th, with C13th and Norman remains, tower reconstructed in 1722, and extensive restoration in 1885-7 by Paley and Austin. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof. Comprises a west tower, a nave and chancel under a continuous roof, a south porch, a north aisle and a north-east vestry and organ chamber. The tower has a plinth and 2 set-backs. Its saddleback roof was added in 1885 and has stone gables to the north and south. The bell openings on the east and west sides are of one cinquefoiled light. On the east and west sides they are of 2 lights with tracery under flat heads. The west window of the north aisle has a trefoiled head and appears to be original. The south wall has a 3-light window to the nave and 3 of 2 lights to the chancel. All have pointed heads with Perpendicular tracery. The lower part of the right-hand window, below a transom, is blank. Between nave and chancel there is a buttress. The outer porch doorway is pointed and chamfered in 2 orders. At the apex of the gable is a rectangular slate sundial plate. The inner doorway, although restored, appears to be C12th and has a round arch, angle shafts with scalloped capitals, and carved decoration. On the north side there are aisle windows of 3 and 2 trefoiled lights under flat heads. Between them is a doorway with pointed arch. To the left the gabled organ chamber has a window of 3 lights with Perpendicular tracery and pointed head. To the left the roof continues at a lesser pitch to cover the vestry, which has a 2-light pointed window with Y-tracery and a door with pointed head. The chancel east window is probably late C13th and is of 3 lights with intersecting tracery. Interior has 3-bay arcade with pointed arches chamfered in 2 orders. The octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases are said by the VCH to be C12th. The capital of the western pier is crudely carved with symbols. The C19th roof has queen post trusses with intermediate principals with arch-braced collars. The eastern bay of the arcade is within the chancel, which is divided from the nave by a carved timber screen. A medieval grave cover is set into the chancel floor. The triple sedilia and piscina were discovered and reconstructed during the restoration and have trefoiled heads. The choir stalls, pews and pulpit are by Paley and Austin and have some carved tracery decoration. The octagonal sandstone font has carved decoration.

Listing NGR: SD6059469421

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
182610
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1906)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12186/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Hyde. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]icEngland.org.uk.