ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ST PHILIP

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1317883
Date first listed:
19-Aug-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Apr-1984
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ST PHILIP, NEWMARKET ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1317883.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2021 at 03:45:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF OUR LADY AND ST PHILIP, NEWMARKET ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Kirtling
National Grid Reference:
TL 68584 57402

Details

TL 65 NE KIRTLING NEWMARKET ROAD (East Side)

7/124 RC Church of Our 19.8.59 Lady and St Philip (formerly listed as RC Church of St Mary and St Philip)

GV II

Church built 1877 for Lord North, architect C A Buckler. Flint with limestone dressings; plain tile roofs. Romanesque, apsidal north end, bell turret to buttressed south end, gabled west porch with two-centred arched entrance and double boarded doors, aisle and vestry to east. Four lancet windows in west elevation; three lancet windows in south with stained glass c1530 'removed from house chapel of Kirtling Hall 1904'. Marble and limestone reredos and altar; patterned floor tiles. Pevsner, Buildings of England, p420. RCHM (Cambs notes), 1953.

Listing NGR: TL6858457402

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
49202
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 420

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06854/18
Rights: © Mr Peter Tree. Source: Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].