Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318094.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2021 at 00:00:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Ribble Valley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 73484 42679



SD 74 SW

10/137 Waddow Hall 16.11.1954 - II Large house, late C18th with early C17th remains. Pebbledashed rubble with slate roof. 2 storeys with attics, the south facade having a continuous dormer added after the house was acquired by the Girl Guide Association in 1927. Main block of 5 bays with projecting quoins, moulded cornice, and parapet. The Windows have architraves and are sashed, the lower panes having no glazing bars. The doorway, reached by 4 steps, has a semi-circular head having a fanlight with radiating glazing bars, and is flanked by Tuscan pilasters with broken fluted entablature and open pediment with mutules. The attic storey is of 5 bays having similar windows, but with plain stone surrounds. Set back slightly to the left are a further 4 bays, with projecting quoins, sill bands, and a string course. The windows are similar to those of the rest of the facade, but have plain stone surrounds. The attic storey is of 5 bays; 4 axial chimney caps are set back from the ridge, with a 5th chimney on the left-hand gable. Towards the rear both gables- have copings of C17th type. At the rear of the main house a section of continuous drip course remains, truncated by a tall stair window with plain stone surround and semi-circular head. To its right is a 4-light mullioned window with outer chamfer and inner hollow chamfer, partly reconstructed. Interior. The left-hand front room of the main block has a plaster cornice, fluted frieze and band of festoons. The doors of the 2 front rooms are of early-to-mid C19th type, having flat panels with raised mouldings forming a border, The rear hall contains a flying stair with stick balusters and swept handrail. 2 moulded main joists are exposed, possibly C17th. A C17th decorated lintel, having a central device of a head flanked by wings, is re-used over a fireplace. On the flat floor of the western part of the house are hardwood main Ceiling joists, not chamfered and only of moderate scantling. These are also said to be part of an earlier house. A painting of 1690 hanging in the house shows a building with early C17th details, and proportions similar to those of the present house.

Listing NGR: SD7348442679


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].