CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1318439
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW, CHURCH BANK

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318439.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 01:13:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT ANDREW, CHURCH BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Richmondshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Aysgarth
National Park:
YORKSHIRE DALES
National Grid Reference:
SE 01195 88534

Details

AYSGARTH CHURCH BANK NORTH YORKSHIRE RICHMONDSHIRE 5339 SE 08 NW (east side, off) 15/38 Church of Saint Andrew 25.3.69 GV II* Church. Mainly of 1866, in Decorated style. By James Green of Todmorden. Rubble, slate roof. West tower, 5-bay nave and 3-bay chancel with aisles, south porch. Tower: 5 stages, the lower 4 of C14 masonry. Diagonal and lateral off-set buttresses. Single-light vents to 3 lowest stages; clock face to north and south of 4th stage; two 2-light belfry openings on each elevation. Gargoyles, crenellated parapet with pinnacles. Pointed-arched doorway, perhaps C18, on north side. South porch: tall pointed opening with continuous wave moulding and large heads on label stops. Inner doorway of 2 hollow-chamfered orders. South aisle: 2-light Decorated-style windows. To right of priest's door, re-used medieval tombstone with hunting horn, perhaps of a Forester of Wensleydale Forest. Parapet. 2-light clerestorey windows to nave, 2 paired lights and single-light to chancel. Crenellated parapets. East window: 5-light Perpendicular-style. Aisle east windows: 4-light Perpendicular-style. Interior: 2 damaged medieval piscinas flanking priest's door. C10 Northumbrian cross-head found in churchyard on table near main door. South side of chancel: very fine rood screen, of seven 3-light bays from Jervaulx Abbey by the Ripon School of Carvers, c1506; also 2 stall ends of similar quality with rebus of William de Heslington, Abbot of Jervaulx from 1472, now in reading desk. In north chancel, timber beam across 1 bay of arcade inscribed "A S Abbas Ann. D'm. 1536", for Adam Sedber, the 1st Abbot of Jervaulx Abbey, which held the advowson. Good C19 pews with doors in nave. 3 brass candelabra in nave. Some fine C18 monuments including those to the Yarkers. VCH i, pp 210-1

Listing NGR: SE0119588534

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
323060
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York, (1907), 210-1

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11938/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Press. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].