Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318459.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 22:40:36.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 77197 36593


KILMINGTON CHURCH ROAD ST 73 NE (east side) 3/73 Church of St Mary 6.1.66 GV II* Anglican parish church. C15 tower, chancel rebuilt 1864, complete rebuilding 1869, tower restored 1903 by C.E. Ponting. Dressed limestone, rubblestone, tiled roof with ceramic ridge cresting and coped verges. West tower and entrance, nave and north aisle, south transept, north vestry and chancel. Narrow 3-stage tower of Somerset type with diagonal buttresses and string courses, moulded Tudor-arched west doorway with hoodmould, 4-light Perpendicular window over, bellstage has 2-light pointed Perpendicular windows with pierced decorative louvres, 2-light north window to middle stage and south side has two crocketed image niches with statues of the Virgin and Gabriel, buttresses are carried up to crocketed corner pinnacles of battlemented parapet. Nave has 3-light C19 window to south side. C19 gabled south transept has 3-light Perpendicular-style window to south, reset stone sundial. Chancel in geometric Decorated style has two 2-light windows to south and 3-light east window, pedimented tablet to Edward Wagstaff died 1795 attached to north wall, north vestry with planked pointed door and 2-light window. Large north aisle with 3-light Perpendicular west and east windows, four 2-light north windows. North side of tower has polygonal stair turret with chamfered arrowloops. Interior: porch below tower has chamfered Tudor-arched doorway to stairs, continuously double chamfered tower arch with 1903 glazed screen, plaque on wall records restoration, four achievements of arms. Nave has C19 roof of eight unequal bays, arch-braced collar trusses with curved wind-bracing to exposed rafters and purlins, polychrome tiled floor. Four-bay north aisle arcade in C14 style with octagonal piers and moulded arches. Organ chamber in south transept; double chamfered continuous arch, possibly C15. C19 chancel arch in C13 style, 3-bay arch-braced collar truss roof, partly blocked pointed archway to north vestry, small piscina in south west window sill. Fittings: C17 polygonal pulpit with richly carved panels, reset on C19 limestone plinth, C19 octagonal stone font at west end of nave, Cl9 pews. Stained glass in east window to Anne Warburton c.1878, north aisle east window glass to Hartgill family c.1869. Monuments include slate tablet in transept to Rebecca Combe died 1644 with good lettering, Edwardian baroque cartouche with heraldic arms to Georgii Gulielmi Camborne (sic) died 1906, classical marbles to Joseph Lush died 1827, oval tablet to Joseph Lush died 1797, classical marble recording charity to Wesleyan Chapel; John Hooper died 1894. (Kelly's Directory, Wiltshire, 1903).

Listing NGR: ST7719736593


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Wiltshire, (1903)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00164/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G.M. Cotton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].