CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1318479
Date first listed:
06-Jan-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318479.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 22:17:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Maiden Bradley with Yarnfield
National Grid Reference:
ST 80364 38657

Details

MAIDEN BRADLEY CHURCH STREET ST 83 NW (east side) 4/84 Church of All Saints 6.1.66 GV I Anglican parish church. C12, early C14, C15, 1845 restoration. Rubble stone and dressed limestone, stone slate roof. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, chancel and Lady Chapel, south vestry and porch. C15 gabled porch with original ledged door in Tudor-arched doorway with carved spandrels and hoodmould, cornice with gargoyles, coped verge with lozenge block sundial. Nave has 2-light C19 geometric-style window to left and two to right, plain stone C15 parapet, but walls rebuilt Cl9. South vestry attached to chancel has C19 door with ornamental hinges and two cusped lancets. Chancel has cusped C19 lancet to south and north, flanking buttresses and C18 moulded east window with clear leaded glass. Lady Chapel to north has C19 two-light east window, large tablet on north wall to Seymour family. Restored north aisle has four Cl9 2- light windows and buttresses, plain parapet, 2-light Perpendicular window to west. Three-stage tower has moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses, 3-light west window with reticulated tracery, octagonal clock face over, bellstage has string course, 2-light Perpendicular windows with louvres, cornice to plain parapet with corner gargoyles, polygonal stair turret to north east Tudor arched doorway, parapet with open quatrefoils. Interior of porch has ovolo-moulded segmental-headed doorway to nave. Nave has stone floors, 4-bay roof with chamfered tie-beams, collar rafter trusses, formerly plastered. Four-bay north arcade has three pointed arches to west on chamfered square piers, possibly late C12, east arch is C14 ovolo-moulded, south arcade has similar arch to east, to west are continuously double chamfered arches, probably C14; north and south-west arches are smaller. Cl9 roof to north aisle, C15 south-aisle roof with moulded cross beams, C14 mask corbels retained at lower level. Tower arch on mask corbels, organ moved here from Lady Chapel 1967. Continuously double chamfered chancel arch with doorway to former rood loft above to left, reached by stone stairs from Lady Chapel. Chancel has Cl9 collar rafter roof, fittings removed C20, including replacement of early Cl9 pictorial stained glass with clear glass in 1959. Nave retains fine C17 pews throughout with shell head bench ends and strapwork friezes, polygonal pulpit and reading desk to match, similar to those in Church of Michael, Mere (q.v.). Square C12 Purbeck marble font bowl on central pier with four smaller shafts to corners, good C17 cover. Carved wooden Royal Arms over south door. Stained glass in north aisle by Whall to Fifteenth Duke of Somerset died 1923. Fine large monument in south aisle to Sir Edward Seymour died 1707, erected 1728 by Rysbrack; white marble reclining figure in front of tablet with pediment with cherubs, scrolled pediment with arms over. Prayer boards at west end of north aisle. Six bells dating from 1613 to 1895, the earlier ones recast 1895. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; H.K. Kitching, Church Guide, 1970; R. Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculptors, 1951).

Listing NGR: ST8036238658

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
321190
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953)
Kitching, H K , Church of All Saints Maiden Bradley Wiltshire Church Guide, (1970)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00208/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G.M. Cotton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].