Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318693.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 19:45:56.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Sutton Mandeville
National Grid Reference:
ST 98595 28854



3/130 Church of All Saints



Anglican parish church. C13, C14, restored 1862 by T.B.Miles of Salisbury. Uncoursed dressed limestone, tiled roof. Plan: nave, chancel, north aisle and north transept, west tower, south porch. Gabled south porch has double-chamfered pointed doorway, coped verge with saddlestone. Nave to either side of porch has 2- light C14 square-headed window with ogee lights and hoodmoulds, buttresses with offsets, rainwater head dated 1862. Chancel has pointed priest's door and 1 cusped lancet either side, diagonal buttresses to east end, restored east window has 3 lancet lights to pointed window with hoodmould, north side of chancel has 2 lancets. Small vestry attached to north side of chancel has pair of cusped lancets. North transept has early C14 three-light pointed window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould. North aisle has 2-light C14-style square-headed window with ogee lights and hoodmould, cusped lancet to right. Three-stage C15 west tower has diagonal buttresses with offsets, string courses and offset bellstage, west doorway has hollow-chamfered pointed arch, second stage has arrow loops with Tudor-arched light to west face, bellstage has 2-light pointed Perpendicular windows to all faces, moulded parapet with corner pinnacles. Interior: C19 double-chamfered inner doorway. Nave has scissor- rafter roof, tiled floor. C19 north aisle has 2 ogee and chamfered pointed arches to low arcade on cylindrical pier and half-cone corbels. Pointed doorway to west tower. Double-chamfered C19 arch to north transept, on octagonal pilasters. Fine C13 pointed double chamfered chancel arch on triple shafts with moulded capitals, hoodmould with foliated terminals. Three-bay chancel has deep arch-braced roof on stone corbels, partly concealed by plaster ceiling, chancel restored 1850. C19 pulpit reuses a finely-carved early C17 panel. C19 pews, communion rail and cylindrical font, at west end. Against west wall is stone tomb lid, carved with primitive relief of Virgin and Child, possibly C12. Limestone and marble wall tablet with fluted pilasters, frieze with paterae and broken pediment with urn, in chancel to Samuel Bracher died 1830; oval marble tablet with urn finial to Rev Henry Fricker died 1792. In nave are early C19 marbles to King family. Good late C19 stained glass in east window depicting the Crucifixion and Resurrection, window on south side of nave has naturalistic floral painting and painted roundels with portraits of Sarah and Nora Walter, died 1890 and 1935 respectively. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975.)

Listing NGR: ST9859528854


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06367/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Letcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].