Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318701.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:12:44.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Steeple Langford
National Grid Reference:
SU 03645 37450


STEEPLE LANGFORD DUCK STREET SU 03 NW (off west side) 2/75 Church of All Saints 23.3.60. GV I Anglican parish church. C13, C14, C15, 1873 restoration. Limestone and flint, tiled roof with coped verges. Plan: west tower, nave and north aisle, south porch, C19 chancel with north organ chamber. Gabled C19 south porch with moulded pointed archway with attached shafts and hoodmould, coped verge. To left is buttress with offsets and C14-style 2-light window, two C14-style windows to right, all with square hoodmoulds, to right is large flat buttress, corresponding with former rood stairs. C19 chancel has three 2-light geometric-style windows with hoodmoulds, pointed priest's doorway with roll-moulded string course raised over, corbel table to eaves with carved heads, 3-light C19 reticulated east window with hoodmould, clasping buttresses, quatrefoil over north side of chancel has one 2-light C14-style window. Organ chamber has pitched roof and 2-light east window, pointed north doorway and 2-light geometric-style window, string course as south side. North aisle has shallow lean-to roof, good 3-light Perpendicular east window, blocking course with saddleback coping, north side has C14 two-light window either side of central chamfered blocked doorway with small 2-light Perpendicular window over, four buttresses with offsets, blocking course, west end of aisle has good 3-light Perpendicular window with hoodmould. Three-stage C14 west tower has 3-light west window with reticulated tracery, diagonal buttresses and string courses, gilded clockfaces to west and south sides, chamfered lancet to north, C16 bellstage with 2-light cusped square-headed windows with louvres, short lead splay-footed spire. Interior: Nave has C19 rib-panelled roof with 3 tie-beams with crown posts, stone floors. C13 tower arch with attached shafts with stiff leaf capitals and roll-moulded arch. South wall has blocked elliptical arch to former rood loft, containing C13 coffin lid, of heart burial, aumbry to right. Three-bay north aisle with C14 double chamfered arches on cylindrical piers and responds, unrestored C15 panelled roof with carved animal bosses, floor with reset headstones with fine lettering. Chancel arch is restored C13 in similar style to tower arch, Cl9 panelled wagon roof, C19 arch to organ chamber and vestry, polychrome tiled floor, fragment of Saxon cross from Hanging Langford. Fittings: stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne in chancel, 1920's. Jacobean polygonal pulpit with good carved panels, C12 Purbeck marble square font bowl on pier and 4 shafts with low relief carvings, C19 pews, brass candelabra. North aisle has fine stone altar dated JM/1576 with multifoils and ovolo-moulded plinth, some C17 pews and medieval bench ends, north blocked doorway contains reset panels with Mompesson heraldic shields, others on wall to right, said to come from chest tomb; this aisle rebuilt by Mompesson family of Bathampton House (q.v.) in C15. Classical marble tablet to William Moody of Bathampton House, died 1798, wooden tablet to Collier family, 1608-1734, benefactions boards on west wall. Baroque marble tablet in chancel to Francisca Thring, died 1749. Three- quarter figure on north wall of Rector Joseph Collier, died 1635, cartouche on south wall to Reverend Arthur Collier, died 1732. Bells include two of 1656 and one of 1737. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: SU0364337454


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/02994/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Antony Barrington-Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].