CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY AND ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1318999
Date first listed:
30-Jan-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY AND ST GEORGE, NEW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY AND ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1318999.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 15:49:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY AND ST GEORGE, NEW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Kendal
National Grid Reference:
SD 51735 92761

Details

In the entry for the following:-

SD 5192 NE KENDAL

8/124 NEW ROAD (North side) Church of Holy Trinity & St George

II The grade shall be amended to read II* (star)

------------------------------------

SD 5192 NE KENDAL NEW ROAD (North side)

8/124 Church of Holy Trinity & St George

II

Roman Catholic church. 1835 by George Webster; sculpture by Thomas Duckett. Opened for service 1837. Orientated south-east/north-west with altar at latter end; description applies liturgical orientation with altar at east end. Front: Hammer-dressed ashlar on chamfered plinth with chamfered strings; stepped buttress to each corner, and octagonal buttress to either side of projecting central bay, all terminating in pinnacles. Castellated parapet and apex cross. Sides: Hammer-dressed limestone blocks on chamfered plinth. Rear: Slobbered rubble. Graduated slate roofs; corbelled eaves. 6-bay aisleless nave with porch projecting to west and chancel to east. Early English exterior. Front: Stone steps up to studded, plank door with pointed head under hoodmould: 3 stepped lancets above and single lancet in bay to either side. Statue of st George and Dragon in gable niche. 6 lancets under hoodmould on south return; shorter eastern one has door with pointed head below. 3 stepped lancets to chancel with single lancet in bay to either side. Interior: Enclosed porch under western gallery/organ loft, with panelled front, supported on arcade of 4-centred arches carried between slender, clustered columns. High altar in splayed recess with crocketed hoodmould to pointed head; columns to reveals carry soffit ribs with panelling between. Life-size statue in niche on either side set within crocketed gabled surround; left-hand statue Ecce Homo, right-hand St George (after Donatello). 5 roof trusses have wooden brackets, on corbels, supporting tie-beam with pierced trefoil-headed arcade infill above. Cast-iron chancel rail with pierced trefoil-headed panels; octagonal wooden pulpit with carved panels in front of rail to left. Octagonal stone font in pierced wooden enclosure on north side under gallery. Small octagonal marble Holy-water stoup, on wooden plinth to either side of entrance, signed by Sylvester Mooney; one dated 1836 and the other 1837. Good late C19/early C20 stained glass; some re-used C17 (Flemish?) stained glass panels in porch windows.

Listing NGR: SD5173592761

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
75467
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/05911/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pamela Weston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].