CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1319256
Date first listed:
21-Dec-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH PATH

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1319256.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-May-2021 at 15:34:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH PATH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Buckinghamshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hardwick
National Grid Reference:
SP 80654 18982

Details

SP 81 MY HARDWICK CHURCH PATH

6/9 Church of St. Mary

21.12.67

GV II*

Parish church. Nave probably of late Pre-Conquest date, W tower and S. aisle added mid C14. Chancel rebuilt, incorporating some old masonry, 1872-3. N. vestry and S. porch also added and remainder restored at this date. Coursed rubble stone, tower and S. clerestory rendered. Nave and tower have lead roofs,tiled chancel, S. aisle with C20 pantiles. W. tower of 2 stages has plinth, battlemented parapet, angle buttresses and parapet of square stair turret at S.W. corner. 2- light traceried openings to bell chamber, small lancet below to S., 2-light traceried window and clock to W. Nave has moulded parapet, N. wall also with plinth and off-set buttresses. C15 traceried 3-light windows flank moulded doorway to N. Over door is a Cll window with semi-circular head and double splayed sides. S. side of nave has clerestory of 3 C15 cusped 3-light windows with flat heads, the window in E. bay with hoodmould, and small quatrefoil window between E. bays. S. aisle has C19 moulded cornice and 3 2-light traceried windows, 2 to E. bays C14 with ogee tracery and arched heads, window in W. bay later with flat head. Traceried round window in E. wall rebuilt C20. Moulded S. doorway with some carved foliage ornament. Chancel has moulded plinth and sill course, the S. side with 2 2-light traceried windows and small door,one similar window to N., and 3-light window to E. Interior: triple chamfered arch to tower. Nave has 5-bay S. arcade of double chamfered arches on shaped quatrefoil piers with flattened lobes and moulded capitals. Blocked openings to rood-loft stairs. C15-C16 roof with chamfered and hollow-chamfered beams. S. aisle has piscina with triangular head, and 4-centred arch over reveal of S.W. window. C19 chancel arch. Chancel Cl9 with arch to organ in N.wall, and cusped piscina and window- seat sedilia to S. Fittings: small C17 chest; painted stone and glazed tile reredos dated 1899; C19 glass and other fittings. Monuments: painted stone and marble monument to Sir Robert Lee and family, 1616, with relief of figures kneeling at reading desk, family behind, and flanking Doric piers with entablature blocks and obelisks; base of marble monument to John Wood; marble tablets in S. aisle to Richard Harris 1613, William Barker 1669, John Dummer 1694 and James Fussell 1760. RCHM II p. 141 -2.

Listing NGR: SP8065418982

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
42158
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03431/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr W A Cooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].