MONKEY ISLAND HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1319431
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1955
Statutory Address:
MONKEY ISLAND HOTEL, MONKEY ISLAND LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1319431.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 01:01:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
MONKEY ISLAND HOTEL, MONKEY ISLAND LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Windsor and Maidenhead (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bray
National Grid Reference:
SU9144179142

Details

BRAY MONKEY ISLAND LANE SU 97 NW (north side, off) 10/25 Bray 25.5.55 Monkey Island Hotel G.V. I

Fishing lodge, now restaurant and bars. c 1738 for Charles Spencer, third Duke of Marlborough. Extended C19 and mid C20; refurbished 1986-7 by Denby and Badnell. Part timber framed with painted, rusticated, wooden walls, part painted brick. Slate roofs, hipped roof over part, flat roofs over C20 extensions. Oldest part, the lodge, is octagonal and 2 storeys with one storey built forward on front with a pediented top, known as The Monkey Room; the first floor was the Duke's bedroom. Large extensions at rear and at each side, of one and 2 storeys. Centre chimney to octagonal part. South (entrance) front: centre section; former lodge octagonal with Diocletian windows with glazing bars, wide eaves with shaped wooden brackets; pedimented projection in front of this; all with rusticated wooden walls. Each side of the centre section are two, C19 gables with shaped bargeboards, 2 sash windows in each on first floor; the left gable projects in front of the centre section; the right is set back and is larger. The whole of the single-storey section on this front has been re-faced in 1987, and consists of a central canted bay with half- glazed door to the Monkey Room, on each side of this are 8 bays of curtain glazing with rendered, wooden, pilasters with rusticated coursing; parapet with cornice, parapet and coping; all of the same material. On the left, the first 3 bays are of decorative glazing, the middle bay contains the entrance doors with a semi-circular head within a pediment; the other 5 bays have plain glazing. 7 bays on the right have decorative glazing, the 8th bay is plain with a pedimented top within the parapet depth. The first 3 bays of this section are similar to the 3 bays on the left, but without the entrance doors. Interior: Monkey Room has a splayed ceiling with paintings by Francois Clermont in 1740 depicting fishing scenes; restored in 1987 by Piotz Koneczny. The walls have a panelled dado, and there is a good chimney piece.

Listing NGR: SU9144179142

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
41069
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04120/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Barry F. White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].