Church of St. Peter

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1319598
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Peter, Ufton Nervet

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Peter
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1319598.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 19:10:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Peter, Ufton Nervet

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ufton Nervet
National Grid Reference:
SU 63466 67514

Details

SU 66 NW 3/11

UFTON NERVET UFTON NERVET Church of St. Peter

14.4.67

G.V. II

Church. 1861-2, by Richard Armstrong in a C14 neo-Gothic style. Snecked rock-faced Pennant sandstone with Bath stone ashlar dressings, patterned tile roofs with ridge cresting, and shingled spire. Nave, north aisle, chancel, north chapel, south porch, and west tower with spire. Plinth, diagonal buttresses, and parapeted gable ends.

Tower: three stages. First floor string, and broach spire with two tiers of two-light lucarnes with colonnettes, and cross at apex. Two-light cusped and louvred bell chamber opening on all faces, clock on second stage to west with colonnettes supporting trefoiled gabled wooden canopy, small rectangular window to north, and cusped lancet in first stage to west with hoodmould and carved stops. Newel turret rising to second stage at south-east corner with lean-to stone roof, small rectangular windows, and caernarvon arched boarded doorway to west. Clock inscribed: IN MEMORY OF HCS.

Nave: three bays. Cusped lancet to left with hoodmould and carved stops and three-light window to right with cusped tracery, hoodmould, and carved stops. Central south doorway with chamfered arch and boarded door. Gabled south porch with shafts, foliated capitals, chamfered arch, hoodmould with carved stops, and small rectangular windows on east and west sides.

Chancel: south side: two bays. Two-light window to left with cusped tracery and hoodmould with carved stops, and cusped lancet to right with hoodmould and carved stops. East end: three-light window with cusped geometrical tracery, hoodmould and carved stops.

North Chapel: octagonal stack to west arcaded top.

East end: square headed window with two cusped ogee lights and hoodmould with carved stops, and small rectangular opening in gable end above.

North side: square headed window with two cusped ogee lights and hoodmould with carved stops to left, two windows of two cusped lights and cusped lancet to right.

West end: large triangular window with curved sides, tracery consisting of three foiled circles, and hoodmould with carved stops.

Interior: three bay north aisle arcade with circular piers, foliated capitals, and chamfered arches; single framed nave roof. Moulded chancel arch with shafts, foliated capitals, and hoodmould with carved stops; chamfered tower arch with window above consisting of three circular lights, and quadripartite rib vaulted vestry beneath tower. Chancel with waggon roof and chamfered organ arch to north with continuous dripmould.

Fittings include: C19 octagonal wooden pulpit on stone base with linenfold panelling and ballflower ornament; C19 eagle lecter; probably C12 tub font; C19 octagonal stone font with shafted base and trefoiled panels on alternate faces; two hatchments on north wall of nave; two bequest boards on west wall; C19 nine-bay vestry screen. Stained glass by Clutterbuck of 1862 and Lavers and Barraud.

Monuments include: Richard Perkins of 1560, now partly destroyed, consisting of two fluted Corinthian columns supporting carved frieze and dentil cornice (the rest of this monument is now in the neighbouring Old Rectory garden); Francis Perkyns of 1615-16 and wife Anna of 1635, consisting of two recumbent stone effigies on tomb chest with kneeling figures, now within a C19 arched recess. Brass in vestry to William Smith 1627 and wife Costantia of 1610.

Listing NGR: SU6346667514

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
40052
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 443-444
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 246
Websites
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 5 February 2020 from https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/buildingStones/StrategicStoneStudy/EH_atlases.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16853/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Swynford-Lain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].