CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1319693
Date first listed:
03-Aug-1972
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1319693.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:38:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Broughton Hackett
National Grid Reference:
SO 92428 54598

Details

BROUGHTON HACKETT

648/5/187 CHURCH OF ST LEONARD 03-AUG-72

II DATES OF MAIN PHASES, NAME OF ARCHITECT: C14 church restored in 1843 by A.E. Perkins.

MATERIALS: Blue lias, laid as coursed rubble except for the rock-faced south wall and porch, with tile roofs and timber-framed turret.

PLAN: Nave and chancel under a single roof, west belfry and south-west porch.

EXTERIOR: The rebuilt south wall has only a single C19 2-light square-headed window. The S doorway is tall, with chamfered surround and pyramid stops. The 3-light Perpendicular east window is also C19. The west wall has angle buttresses and a small 2-light C14 Decorated window. In the north wall is a blocked doorway, which is chamfered with step stops under a timber lintel, and a 2-light square-headed window. A vertical joint is between nave and chancel, suggesting that the present chancel is later than the nave. The belfry is weatherboarded and has a pyramidal roof with weathervane.

INTERIOR: Nave has a shallow coved plaster ceiling; the chancel a flat plaster ceiling. Below the belfry are chamfered cross beams. Walls are plastered. The floor consists of C20 tiles with raised wood floors below the benches, and old ledger stones on the sanctuary floor.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: There is a benefaction board dated 1728 but other fixtures are C19 or C20. The small octagonal font is C19. Benches have simple ends. The C19 polygonal timber pulpit has Gothic blind panels and steps with brass hand rail. The communion rail has twisted brass standards. The east window of 1971 is by Francis W. Skeat, and depicts Christ as a Priest with the Sacrament.

HISTORY: A small church with C14 fabric, but altered and restored in 1843 by A.E. Perkins, architect of Worcester, who rebuilt the south wall and added the porch.

SOURCES: A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, 2007, p 208.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The church of St Leonard, Broughton Hackett, is listed Grade II for the following principal reasons: * For the surviving fabric of a small C14 church. * The church retains C19 internal and external character.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
442517
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11356/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].