Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1319854

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1950

Statutory Address: MOOR PARK, MOOR PARK LANE


Ordnance survey map of MOOR PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1319854 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 02:47:14.


Statutory Address: MOOR PARK, MOOR PARK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Waverley (District Authority)

Parish: Farnham

National Grid Reference: SU 86216 46529


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SU 84 NE 12/135



II* The present exterior of the house is late C18 and is a rebuilding of the C17 house of Sir William Temple, famous in his time for its gardens.

The garden front (southwest) is three storeys, with a taller central motif consisting of a wide angular bay with a slightly projecting centre. The bay has three windows and the flanking wings two windows each. The main cornice is at first floor level with a moulded string over at second floor cill level, both carried round central bay, and the cornice curved segmentally over central window of bay. Each wing has a central three-panes wide second floor window in segmental arched recess; lining with panels on each face of central bay. A moulded string at head of walls to side wing is carried round centre bay; the latter carried up another storey with a square window on each face, and crowned with a second cornice, with a pediment on line of main wall.

The entrance front has symmetrical flanking wings of similar general design and a later arcaded porch across ground floor between the wings. within, staircase with "crinoline" balustrade; oval plaster medallions in elegant plaster frames on staircase walls. Range of one-storey brick outbuildings (altered) adjoins house to northwest (now in domestic use). Foundations of former banqueting house and gazebo also remain to the northwest. The sundial said to mark the grave of Temple's heart has disappeared. The lines of the original terraced garden leading to the river remain, but no architectural features. The planting is now informal, and a very fine cedar stands in front of the house, which is backed by the long wooded ridge of the northeast side of the Wey Valley. The great beauty of this valley, both sides of which are thickly wooded and which extends from the railway near' Farnham junction to the entrance of Waverley Park, and sweeps round through the park is so far unaffected by modern building.

Moor Park was the house for fifteen years of Sir William Temple and his wife Dorothy Osbourne. Jonathan Swift, as secretary to Sir Wlilliam, wrote here "A Tale of a Tub", "The Battle of the Books"" and here also he met Stella. Charles Darwin was a visitor here. Earl Roberts lived at Moor Park in the early part of this century.

See article in Country Life for November 25, 1949, tracing the outlines of Sir William Temple's garden, and the existence of a C17 house within the present building.

Listing NGR: SU8621646529


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 443032

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
'Country Life' in 25 November, (1949)

End of official listing