CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1319947
Date first listed:
20-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, LOW DINSDALE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1319947.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:44:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, LOW DINSDALE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Darlington (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Low Dinsdale
National Grid Reference:
NZ 34684 11210

Details

LOW DINSDALE LOW DINSDALE NZ 31 SW (East side)

8/44 Inset Church of St. John 20/3/67 the Baptist

II

Parish church. Late C12 nave and chancel; C14 south aisle; restored and tower, organ chamber/vestry and porch added in 1876 by J.P. Pritchett. Red sandstone: dressed medieval masonry on chancel and part of south aisle; remainder mainly 1876 tooled squared stone in harrow courses. Large Welsh slates on roofs. Nave with west tower and separately-roofed south aisle with porch; chancel with organ chamber/vestry on north. 1876 pointed windows mainly with Geometrical tracery.

Diagonally-buttressed, 4-stage tower has 2-light bell openings, embattled parapet with corner pinnacles and stair turret on north. 2-bay nave has fragmentary chamfered plinth and steep roof. 2-bay aisle has pointed chamfered doorway behind porch; and 2-light window, with original monolithic head, on south; restored window with intersecting tracery on east return; steeply- pitched roof. Lower, narrower 2-bay chancel: restored Priest's door on south flanked by square-headed 2-light windows, that to east with original jambs and shouldered rear-arch; east end has original plinth and quoins and 1876 3-light window; steeply-pitched roof. Organ chamber/vestry has pent roof and truncated stack. Gabled porch has pointed, double-chamfered doorway under hoodmould with headstops.

Interior. Nave and chancel have 1876 arch-braced roofs. Aisle arcade of 2 original double-chamfered, pointed arches on central octagonal pier and respond corbels. Restored aisle piscina with 2 original bowls. Pointed piscina with projecting bowl in chancel. Elaborate late C19 pulpit and font. 2 fragments of a pre-Conquest hogback and possibly C11 font with hexagonal bowl in aisle. Small brass to Mary Wyvill died 1668 above aisle pier. Aedicular wall monument in chancel to Cuthbert Routh died 1752 by Richard Fisher. Dramatic stained glass window, at east end of aisle, to Rev. John Surtees dated 1876 by O'Connor and Taylor. Built into porch: several pre-Conquest cross-shaft fragments; large grave slab to Goselynus Surtees died 1366; 2-light window head from chancel.

Listing NGR: NZ3468411210

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
350447
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/14647/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Bradley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].