This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1319952



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Little Wolford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 306009

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LITTLE WOLFORD SP23NE 2/75 Little Wolford Manor House and 22/09/52 attached bakehouse and gateway (Formerly listed as Little Wolford Manor and Glyde Well)


Manor house. Late C15 or early C16, with C16, C17 and c20 alterations and additions. Coursed limestone rubble with some ashlar to earliest range. Chamfered plinth and quoins. Stone-slate roof with stone ridge, lateral and end stacks, Formerly a U-shaped plan but south wing demolished early C19 and house is now L-shaped. 2-storey, 9-window range. C15 north range of hall and parlour with former service rooms to west. To left, leading into the screens passage, a C15 elliptical-headed doorway with hollow-chamfered surround within a square head with hood mould and labels. C15 part-restored door of 8 traceried panels with moulded muntins and middle rail. Gabled porch with datestone inscribed "IHA/1671" with the carved arms of Ingram below. Elliptical-headed doorway with double ovolo-moulded surround, To both floors left of porch a single elliptical-headed hollow-chamfered light. To right of porch a mullioned window of 4 elliptical-headed lights and king mullion. Mullioned window with 3 elliptical-headed lights further to right. Both windows have hood moulds and labels. To first floor one 3-light and two 2-light mullioned windows (one in gabled half dormer) with elliptical-headed lights. To right a half-octagonal stair-turret with moulded string course and 2 elliptical-headed lights, irregularly disposed. First-floor doorway which originally led into demolished south wing is part-blocked with a 2-light window. C19 wall to right in place of former wing has early C20 mullioned windows. Further mullioned windows with elliptical-headed lights to east gable end and to rear. Also to east gable end a C15 elliptical-headed doorway with moulded surround. Sundial to first floor. To rear a lateral stack projection with gabled head. North entrance to screens passage has elliptical head and C16 linen-fold panelled door. Also to rear a late C17 two-storey gabled range with mullioned windows. C16 west wing is possibly of 2 periods, the range to left the later. To right a timber-framed jetty with close studding with rail and moulded bressumer, and jettied gable. Both jetties have 5-light oriel windows with moulded mullions and transoms. C17 canted bay with elliptical-headed lights to ground floor right. Rear of C16 range has two 3-light mullioned windows, that to first floor with wider central light. Also to rear a rounded projection with a moulded square-headed light, and a further hollow-chamfered light above. To west an early C20 two-storey stone gabled range with one C15 two-light window with traceried head set above doorway. Attached to south of C16 range by a C20 two-storey infill a C17 former bakehouse and cottage of 2 storeys with mullioned windows with hollow-chamfered surrounds. 4-centred doorway to right, Large lateral stack and bread oven projection to rear. Attached to south of cottage a wall and restored stone gateway with moulded surround and original fringes, Renewed semi-circular head. Interior: C15 timber screen with heavily moulded plinth and bressumer, and moulded muntins and middle rail. Arched-head doorway with carved spandrels. In north wall of hall 2 large stone fireplace with 4-centred head and moulded surround, C17 carved overmantel, with carved arms of the Ingram family. C17 panelling, C15 two-light wood window to west imported from Bideford in Devon, early C20. In south windows stained heraldic glass, one piece dated 1557. Stone flagged floors. Cl9 timber roof. To south, the stair turret doorway is elliptical-headed with hollow moulded surround. Original plank door with moulded muntins and rails. Stone newel staircase rising to first floor. In. parlour to east is a C16 fireplace with stucco overmantel, imported from Bideford. In dining room, the former service room, is a large spine beam and heavy joists, repainted early C20. Large open fireplace with chamfered timber bressumer in C16 wing are chsmfered cross beams with stepped stops. In first floor over former service room is a part-exposed queen-post roof. Also in this room is C18 panelling. In a first floor room over C16 range a stone fireplace with 4-centred head and hollow-moulded surround. Original C16 panelling up to dado rail. History: Little Wolford Manor was the seat of the Ingrams from C16 to C18. It later became the Manor Farm until it was bought and restored by Sir Robert Hilton, early C20. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp+2l3-215; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.341-342; Country Life XLVII (April 1920), pp.476-482; Cescinsky and Gribble, Early English Furniture and Woodwork, Vol.I, pp.212-214).

Listing NGR: SP2622235262

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cescinsky, , Gribble, , Early English Furniture and Woodwork212-4
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 213-5
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 341-2
'Country Life' in April, , Vol. 47, (1920), 476-482

National Grid Reference: SP 26222 35262


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1319952 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 06:02:17.

End of official listing