CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1320070
Date first listed:
27-May-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1320070.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:39:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wilsford
National Grid Reference:
SU1022457225

Details

WILSFORD THE STREET SU 15 NW (north side) 2/167 Church of St. Nicholas 27.5.64 II* Anglican parish church. C13 and C15, restored 1864 and 1960. Limestone ashlar with slate roofs. Chancel rendered flint and malmstone. Nave and south porch, chancel, and west tower. Nave has 3-light C15 windows between buttresses. Gabled porch, reconstructed in 1864. South door with casement moulding, early C15, and moulded cornice over. Corresponding north door blocked. East end of north wall has blocked arch to former chapel, demolished 1959, and includes reset C13 doorway. Chancel C13, low, with south priest's door and lancets, triple at the east end. West tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses, much repaired c1960. Three-light west window with niche over, and pierced transennae to two-light bell stage. Quatrefoil frieze at base offset, fleur-de- lys frieze below crenellated parapet. Stair in south-east corner, with sundial high on south face. Gargoyles. Interior: Nave has 4-bay open trusses roof of 1864 on carved corbels. Tall hollow-moulded tower arch and lower but wider chancel arch. Chancel has low C15 roof with moulded principals and purlins, and deep moulded wall plates. Blocked squint to former chapel and arched piscina with clover-leaf sinking. A splendid example of a modest medieval chancel that rarely escaped C19 restoration. Fittings: Font, under tower arch, deep octagonal drum on short pedestal. Pulpit and sanctuary rail, C19. Monuments: In chancel; five wall tablets. South side: White marble oval on black oval, urn over. To Elizabeth Chandler, died 1794. North side, from east: (a) White marble tablet with urn over against grey pyramid. To Elizabeth Layland, died 1810. (b) Identical, to Thomas Chandler, died 1797. (c) Marble scroll against slate, by Salmon of Devizes. To John Hayward, died 1869. (d) White marble against slate, to Henry Horton, died 1975. In nave, 3 tablets on north side, from east: (e) White marble tablet with cornice, by Osmund of Sarum. To George Benson, died 1819. (f) Gabled tablet on gabled slate backing, by R. Davis of Bath. To Harry Hayward, died 1855. (g) White tablet against grey. To John Hayward, died 1824 and family. Furniture: Small C17 chest under tower. (Church Guide, 1980; Pevsner, Buildings of England - Wiltshire.)

Listing NGR: SU1022457225

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
311117
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Nicholas Wilsford Church Guide, (1980)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09742/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Rendle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].