Church of St Peter


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter, Village Road, Heswall, Wirral, CH60 0DZ


Ordnance survey map of Church of St Peter
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1320306.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 12:16:56.


Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter, Village Road, Heswall, Wirral, CH60 0DZ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 26583 81215


SJ 28 SW 5/308

WIRRAL Heswall VILLAGE ROAD (west side) Church of St. Peter


GV II* Church. Tower C14, bell stage late C15; rest of church, 1879, south chapel 1893. By J.F. Doyle. Stone with slate roof. Nave with aisles, south-west tower, chancel, north vestry and south chapel.

Tower has diagonal west buttresses, three-light west window has reticulated tracery; bell stage has sill course and three-light louvred bell openings with Perpendicular tracery; cornice, and panelled embattled parapet; square south-east stair turret. Five-bay aisles have three-light windows with Geometrical tracery, most of three lights, south gabled porch to west end and entrance to east end, one four-light window, north aisle has one two-light window. West end of nave has five-light window and round stack. Clerestory has single lights, paired to east bay. Chancel has five-light window. South chapel ornate Perpendicular style, sill course, cornice with carvings of animals, embattled parapet and crocketed pinnacles; panelled gabled buttresses; east four-light and south three-light windows; south sundial. Gable vestry and organ loft with east extension under lean-to roof, eastern windows are straight headed, gabled bay has triple trefoil-headed lights and rose window.

Interior: Nave has arcades with octagonal piers to north and round piers to south, eastern bay has wall shafts; arch-braced roof. Tower arch to end of south aisle has octagonal responds; wall tablet to John Glegg (died 1619) inscribed with kneeling figure; Katherine Glegg (died 1666) armorial panel under open pediment. Font, 1879, round bowl on clustered shafts, acanthus ornament. West end of nave has Royal arms, 1811, C18 baluster font, and commandment boards. Chancel arch on corbelled shafts, low iron railing and round-ended pulpit. Two-bay chancel arcade with stone parclose screen, waggon roof, recessed sedilia; north arch to organ loft. Reredos by C.E. Kempe, 1890. South chapel has wrought iron screen. Much stained glass by Kempe, e.g. east, south-east, south-west and tower windows.

Listing NGR: SJ2658381215


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16844/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ronald May. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].