Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1320659.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 00:59:15.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 39949 59133



4/14 Parish Church of St. Andrew 9.2.61

G.V. I

Parish Church, (Anglican). C15, restored early and mid C19. Ashlar, rubble, lead roofs. West tower, nave north and south aisles, south porch, chancel; all Perpendicular. Tower, ashlar, tall 4 stages with set back buttresses joined across the angle and a south east half octagon stair turret; first stage is blank north and south and has a west door under a heavily moulded pointed arch with drip mould with decorative stops, above that a tall 4 light window under a hoodmould; at junction of each stage, buttresses have weathered setbacks; second stage has 2 light windows under hoodmoulds and with label cills to north, south and west, that to west is blank with a lily in a vase and is flanked by niches containing Gabriel and Mary, the figures of the Annunciation; third stage has windows as second on all sides, clock face to west; fourth stage has 2 two light windows to north and south, 3 two light windows to east and west; they are divided by attached shafts with pinnacles which rise from string to cornice, buttresses become diagonal and bear pairs of crocketed shafts; trefoil pierced parapet with gargoyles and corner finials; panelled top stage to stair turret with octagonal, conical cap. Nave has 5 pointed 3 light clearstorey windows under a continuous dripstone; attached shafts between each window rise through parapet to crocketed pinnacles; north east and south east polygonal rood stair turrets rise to caps as tower turret. North and south aisles have windows as clearstorey but taller, they also appear east and west, all divided by buttresses, parapet as nave and tower; centre bay to north has inserted door, pointed arch decorated with fleurons under square dripmould. South porch has 3 light square head window over heavily moulded south doorway, polygonal parvice stair, parapet as tower inner porch door restored as at north with fleurons and masonic symbols; under east pier of this door is a fragment of Saxon work with interlaced decoration. Chancel has 2 three light windows under dripmoulds divided by buttresses, diagonal buttresses at east and a shortened east window of 5 lights; south priest's door; at north attached C19 vestry and C20 boiler room. Interior; tall moulded tower arch under line of first roof which predates clearstorey, St. Andrew in niche, now indoors; nave of 5 bays piers with hollows and attached shafts with capitals; clearstorey windows under continuous moulding which meets angel corbels from which roof springs; fine ribbed wagon roof with much embellished wallplates from which tracery extends down into the spandrels below; angels over each window, floral bosses at every junction; similar flat north aisle roof, C20 replacement to south aisle. Superb 7 bay rood screen of 1522, panelled dado with linenfold, Perpendicular tracery, fans rise to carry a multi frieze cornice, wider central bay has pair of doors; rood stair entrance to left under ogee arch with head corbel; chancel has C19 reredos and painted wagon roof and remains of aumbry and piscina. Fittings; perpendicular stone pulpit with crocketed tracery rising to frieze and under a sounding board dated 1621; C12 font with later floral motif; poppy head benches in nave; churchwardens' coat of arms in strapwork dates from Restoration but is overpainted in 1805. Glass; C15 fragments are reset in east windows of both aisles, whither they were removed in 1813 from the roof screen. Memorials; 7 late C18/early C19 tablets, white casket and eulogy on dark grounds. (Sources: Pevsner: The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958; Bromwich : Banwell Parish Church, St. Andrew).

Listing NGR: ST3994759134


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Bromwich, , Banwell Parish Church of St Andrew Church Guide
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05434/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mike Bedingfield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].