CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, MAIN STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1320751.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:06:00.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, MAIN STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
- Compton Martin
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 54498 56985
ST 55 NW COMPTON MARTIN C.P. MAIN STREET (south side)
5/85 Church of St. Michael and All 21.9.60 Angels G.V. I
Parish church. C12, late C15 tower and alterations to aisles, chancel repaired 1853 and restored 1901 for Reverend W. Burland. Sandstone rubble with limestone ashlar at upper levels of aisles and corners of chancel, limestone dressings, lead roofs with raised coped verges. West tower, nave, north aisle and north porch, south aisle and south chapel, chancel. Norman style, Perpendicular tower and alterations to aisles, Decorated style C19 alterations. 4-stage tower has 4- centred arched West door in moulded surround with carved spandrels, hood mould and string course above, tall 3-light window above with hood mould, 2nd stage has image niche with pinnacles, diagonal shaft with crockets above, similar diagonal shaft to each side; 3rd stage has similar image niche, 4th stage 2-light bell- opening with stone louvres, image niche and diagonal shaft to each side, south and north sides have lower string course as to west, 2nd stage north has small trefoil-headed window of 2-lights with diagonal shaft to each side; octagonal north stair turret has 4-centred arched door, lancets, diagonal shafts at corners at 2nd stage, pierced stone parapet; east side of tower above nave roof has paired string courses with gargoyle to lower string and crocketed diagonal shafts between, 3rd and 4th stages as to west; plinth, strings between stages, diagonal weathered buttresses with shafts on lower set offs, possibly formerly for images, gargoyles at 3rd stage and pinnacled shafts at 4th stage, pinnacles to top, top string course with gargoyles and pierced stone tracery parapet. 4-bay north aisle has 3 Cl9 3-light Decorated style windows with hood mould, 2nd bay from right has gabled porch with pointed arched opening, moulded verges and cross finial. Nave has 4 clerestorey windows visible above north aisle, round-headed with torus mouldings, Norman corbel table with zigzag and beading, mask and monster corbels alternating with beaded corbels, to east under corbel table, a wider zigzag and beaded corbel, cross finial to nave. South aisle of 4 bays has 3-light Perpendicular west window with hood mould, three 3-light south windows with hood moulds, 2nd bay from left has pointed arched door with hood mould and mask stops, diagonal buttresses and buttresses. South chapel has similar south and east windows, small pointed arched door to east, plinth, weathered string course, cornice, parapet and coping. 2-bay chancel has Perpendicular style east window of 1902, with ogee head and hood mould, quatrefoil above and cross finial, lancet with cusped trefoil head, hood mould and small mask stops to south, to north, large weathered buttress, similar lancet with plain hood mould to each side, small blocked rectangular lancet above and upper door to right with 4-centred arched chamfered head, with plank and batten door with strap hinges, chamber over chancel formerly used as pigeon loft. Interior: tower has framed ceiling in 9 panels, moulded ribs with 4 bosses, on corbels, tall pointed tower arch with panelled soffit and jambs, cusped ends to panels, hollow-chamfered and wave-moulded surround. Nave has wagon ceiling with moulded ribs forming 7 bays, with bosses along moulded ridge purlin, mask corbels under ribs and moulded wall-plate; 4-bay north arcade of cylindrical columns on plain plinths with circular scalloped capitals and one-stepped round arches, pier to east has more elaborate moulded scallops on square capital with chevrons above; 4 round-headed clerestorey lights above, with segmental rere-arches; 4 bay south arcade has 3 similar columns to west, 4th column twisted spirally, with flutes flanked by rolls, flanked by beading, arch to east raised in C15 to Perpendicular style with small jamb-shaft to west, hollow-chamfered and wave-moulded, only upper section of clerestorey window above remaining, 3 clerestorey lights to west as on north side but unglazed, because of raised south aisle roof; wide, moulded segmental arch to chancel, pier to south has wave-mould to each of 4 sides, shaft-ring and moulded capital, also serving as springer for chancel vault and south chapel arch, similar engaged pier to north, brattished wall-plate above chancel arch, 3-light C19 trefoil headed window above with pointed segmental headed rere-arch. North aisle has pitched roof of 4 bays, arched-braces, principal and common rafters and one purlin, all moulded with fine carved bosses, arched-braces rising from stone mask corbels: to east, a round-arched recess (possibly former Easter sepulchre) with small square niche to left. North porch has 2-bay roof of C19 with tie-beam, king-post and struts, pointed arched surround to door, hollow-moulded, with slender jamb shafts, door with raised fillets and strap hinges. South aisle has roof raised above Norman corbel table, as on north nave exterior, stonework above south arcade of rubble with mortices from former aisle roof, dressed masonry above former roof line, similar mouldings to clerestorey windows; 4-bay C19 roof with tie-beams set on wall-posts on corbels, braces with pierced carving between tie and principal rafters, purlin with struts to tie-beam; pointed arched, hollow-moulded surround to south door, moulded pointed arch to south chapel, engaged pier to south with 2 nave-mouldings. South chapel has roof as in south aisle, 4-centred arch to chancel, engaged pier to east with wave-mouldings and brattished capital; former upper window to chancel, blocked, and remains of possible carved figure. Chancel has 2 stone rib-vaulted quadripartite bays, the transverse arch resting on strong tripartite shafts, with scalloped capitals with chevrons to south, trefoil tops with scallops and chevrons to north; arch is square in section with zigzag decoration to west face; ribs have half-roll profile, flanked by hollows, west bay has rib to north west rising from corbel with scallop and chevron capital, 4 animal heads in flat relief carved at meeting of 4 ribs; east bay has 2 engaged shafts to east with scallop and chevron capitals as springers for ribs. Fittings: Norman piscina on plain shaft in chancel, found at Priddy; Norman font in nave, circular with chip-carved zigzag frieze; carved wooden Perpendicular style screen to west and north of south chapel; C19 Romanesque stone pulpit in nave; Russian icon in north aisle; 2 boards in porch recording gifts to the parish; 2 brass chandeliers in nave. In north aisle, a painted, recumbent effigy, c.1290, possibly to Thomas de Morton, flatly carved, set in recess with wide triangular arch with rosettes on hollow moulding; marble tablet with woman and anchor, to Ann Hoskyns, 1800; marble tablet to John Hoskyns, 1805 by Wood of Bristol; marble sarcophagus tablet, to Sir John Henniker, 1872, by E. Bingham of London; C18 stone tablet, inscription obscured. In south aisle a stone tablet with broken segmental pediment and cherub, to James Millard, 1777. In south chapel, stone tablet with bolection-moulded surround and scallop shell, dedication illegible, 1722; ledger stone beneath organ, to George Roynon, 1637. On north arcade, marble tablet with segmental pediment, to John and Mary Weekes, 1722. East window has stained glass by Murray of London, 1902. (Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958. Selley, A. : Compton Martin and its Environs, a Corner of Beautiful Somerset. 1923).
Listing NGR: ST5449456984
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Selley, A, Compton Martin and its Environs a Corner of Beautiful Somerset, (1923)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing