Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1320783.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 13:52:05.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 61027 57569



6/1 Church of St. James 21.9.60 I

Parish Church. Late C12, C15 west tower, minor late C19 restoration. Squared, irregular coursed red and grey sandstone with limestone dressings to tower, rubble stone and dressed stone copings to nave and chancel, render on nave north wall. Concrete tiles to nave, slates to chancel and south porch. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Nave has one perpendicular 2-light window to the south, 2 single light late C19 windows to the north. Chancel has 2 perpendicular 2-light wimdows and doorway to the south, east window 2-light perpendicular with dripstone. Sundial dated 1698 below eaves on south-east corner of chancel. Tower of 3 stages with polygonal north-east corner stair turret. Diagonal buttresses, moulded string courses, embattled parapet to turret, pierced cusped lozenge frieze and crocketted pinnacles to tower. West facade has 4-centred arched dooorway, a 3-light window to 1st stage, single light to 2nd stage and to all 3 faces, 2-light bell openings with dense quatrefoil piercing. South porch has ironwork gates, south door has Transistional round-headed arch with diagonal fret, crocket capital to left, trumpet capital to right with some original colouring. Interior. Nave has C12 chancel arch on square abacii and to the south-east wall a blocked Transitional arch with damaged roll moulding and inserted section of Early English tracery. To north-east wall a trilobed cusped niche. Triple-chamfered arch to tower. Coved plaster roof with ridge rib and carved bosses. Chancel has late C19 open rafter roof. Fittings. Nave, at the tower arch, has Norman font with scalloped undersides, roped neck and moulded plinth. Wooden Jacobean font cover. Fragments of wall paintings (C13 -C17) on nave north and south walls, chancel arch jambs and a dacalogue over chancel arch. C15 benches with square-headed ends, polygonal Jacobean pulpit dated 1637 with arched panels and strapwork, also tester and reading desk. West gallery dated 1711 but with Jacobean style balusters and attached Charles I coat of arms. 3 C18 family box pews and C18 hat racks to nave north and south walls. South gallery dated 1819. Chancel has early C18 wooden reredos and mid C18 communion rail. 2 early C19 monuments to Rees-Mogg family on nave north wall. Church was closed in 1980 and is now redundant. (Pevsner, Buildings of England).

Listing NGR: ST6102857566


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16179/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Neil Bentham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].