CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1320916
Date first listed:
11-Oct-1981
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1320916.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 14:23:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Winford
National Grid Reference:
ST 54306 65014

Details

ST 56 NW WINFORD C.P. CHURCH ROAD (north side)

3/119 Church of S.S. Mary and Peter 11.10.81 G.V. II*

Anglican parish church. C15 west tower, main body rebuilt 1796, restored in 1820 with further late C19 restoration. Finely jointed squared and coursed dressed stone to tower and plinth of remainder, coursed rubble to main body with slate roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles. 4-stage tower with set back buttresses, moulded string courses and north-east corner polygonal stair turret. Trefoil-headed open panel parapet with corner crocketted pinnacles and fine gargoyles. Top 3 stages have 2-light openings with hoodmoulds and lozenge stops, those below bell stage blind, those to bell stage louvred. 1st stage of west facade has deeply moulded pointed-arched doorway with 2-leaf doors and applied Gothick mouldings; light with intersecting tracery above. Above this a 3-light Gothick window. Simple pointed-arched lights with flat section surrounds and leaded lights to nave. Chancel has two C19 Perpendicular style windows under pointed heads. Chancel parapet has obelisk finials. Interior. Tower arch with 2 orders of wave moulding, 4-bay nave arcades with clustered shafts and pointed arches. Roof over nave and chancel is compartmented with leaf spray rosettes in each panel. This rests on winged cherub corbels. Fittings. West gallery with turned balusters on cast iron piers recording date of rebuilding (1796) and restoration (1820). Good panelled screen to tower arch. Plain Perpendicular style font, wooden Gothick pulpit. 4 wooden prayer boards in chancel. Stained glass heraldic shields to nave windows, east window has 1889 stained glass. Altar rails of similar form to gallery balustrade. Coat of arms below tower on canvas in wooden frame: G.R. III. Benefactions board opposite dated 1813. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5430665014

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33986
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/02566/25
Rights: Copyright IoE N.L. Stones. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].