FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1320963
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE, MEETING HOUSE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1320963.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 01:09:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE, MEETING HOUSE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Yatton
National Grid Reference:
ST 45258 66288

Details

YATTON C.P. MEETING HOUSE LANE (east side) ST 46 NE Claverham 5/175 Friends' Meeting House 13.10.52 Formerly Listed as Claverham Meeting II* House) Friends' meeting house, now partly house. C17 origin, rebuilt 1729 with C19 and C20 alterations. Rubble, rendered, limestone dressings, pantiled roof hipped over side wings, stacks to sides. U-plan with hall in central range. 2 storeys, 1:3:1 bays; central 3 bays have central semi-circular-headed chamfered door opening with keystone, imposts, large panelled double doors, 6-pane light above in similar surround, to each side a round-headed 18-pane sash with thick glazing bars, splayed at head, similar imposts and keystone, moulded cills, keystones of side windows rise to moulded string course, above centre window an oblong stone pediment with cornice carrying pedestal with square-block sundial surmounted by stone "torch" finial; base of sundial has incised inscription "THIS HOUSE REBUILT IN THE YEAR 1729". Wing set forward to each side has 2-light casement at ground and first floor and 1/2-glazed door to inner side; from each front angle of building rises a tall square stack, one with moulded cap, the inside face of each stack being curved to eaves. Left return has 2 windows, all 2-light casements of 3 panes each, right return the same with buttress to left. Rear has small single storey C20 lean-to right and left with 1/2-glazed door and C20 light to inner side; first floor has 2-light casement right and left and central 20-pane sash under eaves with thin glazing bars. Interior: not accessible at time of survey (April 1985) but appears to retain original panelling in central hall.

Listing NGR: ST4525866288

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33839
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/00253/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].