CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1320975
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1320975.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 14:28:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hutton
National Grid Reference:
ST 35244 58595

Details

ST 35 NE HUTTON C.P. CHURCH LANE

5/7 Church of Saint Mary the Virgin 9.2.61 G.V. II*

Anglican Parish Church. C15, major extension and restoration 1849 by S.C. Fripp. Coursed rubble, freestone dressings, slate roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, north vestry, south aisle. All Perpendicular. 3-stage tower with plinth, diagonal buttresses rising to crocketed finials, polygonal stair turret at south east; first stage has C15, plank west door in richly moulded four-centered arch under drip with angel stops below 3-light window; at second stage, blank 2-light openings with grotesque stops, except east, no opening, at north, string is broken by clock of 1887; third stage, each face has paired 2-light windows to bell chamber, outer light blank, inner crocketed finials; gargoyles and a trefoil pierced parapet; stair turret has cusped panels and is surmounted by a hexagonal spirelet. 2-bay nave has 3-light windows between buttresses, at east a polygonal, battlemented rood stair turret has one tiny quatrefoil light, at gable head sits a sanctus bell cote of C15 work, but reset. Gabled chancel of 1849 has 3-light east window and two 2-light windows to south, on either side of a plain priest's door, all under a continuous string. Similar north vestry of 1870 has a 2-light east window and cusped lancets to north and west. 3-bay, gabled south aisle, also 1849, sits between 2 buttresses of original south wall and has 3 three-light windows; in east gable a C15 canopied niche is reset. Interior: tall, moulded tower arch of waves and hollows rises to a lierne tracery vault on angel corbels, there is a C19 screen with mock linenfold. Nave has a Wagon roof with decorated wall plate and bosses, remains of rood stair openings now house stairs to refixed stone pulpit of the local school-corbelled with friezes from a narrow stem, each panel has 2 cusped lights, separated by crocketed finials, all surmounted by 2 further floreate friezes. The wave and step moulded C15 chancel arch enters work of 1849 with wagon roof and wide north arch into vestry to house organ, there is a reset C16 niche, tudor arch with cusped panels in the soffit and decorated spandrels, now housing damaged mural brass to the Payne family, 1528. South aisle has a 3-bay arcade, octagonal piers with attached shafts. Glass: East window in nave has fragments of C15 and later heraldic glass, remainder is victorian and later. Fittings: simple, octagonal font of late date, low, plain box pews of 1785 in north nave, stone reredos, between crocketed and canopied niches, of 1858. Tablets: south aisle, marble and slate, with crown bearing arms, family effigies, Nathaniel Still, 1626; chest tomb on dark ground, Watson 1833, by Wheeler, Gloucester; chancel, all slate lozenge, flanked by naive columns, above, an hourglass, below, cherubs and a skull, Robert Willis, 1719; south chancel wall, freestone, ogee headed moulded canopy, marble tablet with urn on dark ground to J. Smith, Rector, 1825, by Lancaster and Walker of Bristol. Sources: Coward, 'The Church of Saint Mary the Virgin, Hutton'. n.d. N. Pevsner. 'The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol' 1958.

Listing NGR: ST3524558598

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33616
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Coward, , The Church of Saint Mary the Virgin
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15396/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Michael Bass. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].