Luton Hoo


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Luton Hoo, Luton Hoo Estate


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1321301.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 03:36:29.


Statutory Address:
Luton Hoo, Luton Hoo Estate

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 10451 18552


This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 16/07/2020

TL 11 NW 44/219


29.4.52 GV I Designed by Robert Adam for the Earl of Bute in 1760s, and probably completed by Robert Smirke. The building was gutted in 1843 and repaired. It was extensively. remodelled in 1903 by Mewes for Sir Julius Wernher a South African diamond merchant of German origin. Wernher and his wife Alice Sedgwick Mankiewicz, the daughter of a Polish Jewish merchant from Danzig, were avid art collectors, and much of their collection is now on display at Ranger’s House in Greenwich.

The house is of ashlar stone. The entrance front is probably by Smirke. It has a hexastyle Ionic portico and full height angle bows. In the centre of the four bay recesses to either side of the portico is a feature of darker stone consisting of four Doric pilasters one storey in height surmounted by a frieze. While the house is of two storeys on the west and east fronts, the north and south sides are of three storeys. North side has giant columms carrying an entablature The south face has two slender Greek columns of Adam's work. The rest is Edwardian.

Interior: The chapel was built by G.E Street in Byzantine style in 1875. Fine oval Staircase hall by Mewes.

Listing NGR: TL1045118552


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdon and Peterborough, (1968)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 2 Bedfordshire,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].