CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1321657
Date first listed:
31-Oct-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HATLEY ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1321657.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 04:14:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HATLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Potton
National Grid Reference:
TL 22864 49437

Details

POTTON HATLEY ROAD TL 2249 12/28 Church of St Mary 31.10.66 GV I Parish church. C13 origins, C14, C15 and early C16. Restored 1889 by Somers Clarke and J T Micklethwaite (Beds Mercury. 7th September 1889). Mixture of cobblestones and ironstone. Ashlar dressings. Mixture of plain and embattled parapets. Chancel, S chapel, nave, N transept, N aisle, S aisle, N porch, W tower. Chancel: C13 origins, reworked C15. C19 pointed-arched 3-light E window. N elevation has square-headed 3-light window to E and 4-centre headed 2-light window to W, both C15. Between these is 4-centred arched doorway surmounted by small C13 lancet. Immediately W of NW window is single light. Below NE window is piscina, orignally serving NE vestry. C16 2-bay S arcade. S chapel: C16. 2 S windows and one E window, all of 3 lights under 4-centred heads. C19 4-centred S doorway. Nave: C13 origins, mainly C14. 5-bay C14 arcades to both sides. S one earlier, with compound piers. N one with octagonal columns. Clerestory has 5 C15 square-headed windows to each side, all of 2 lights except for SE one of 3 lights. N transept: C13 origins. E elevation has C15 3-light 4-centred arched window, and small window to SE lighting inserted C15 rood stair. N elevation has C19 3-light window. N aisle: C14, reworked C15. 4-centred arched C15 windows, W one of 3 lights, NW one of 4 lights, other N ones of 2 lights. C14 N doorway. S aisle: C14, reworked C15. One W window, 3 S windows, all C15, of 3 lights under 4-centred heads. N porch: C15, with parvis above reached by stairs at SE angle. Lower stage has 4-centred arches to W and N. Parvis lit by 2-light square-headed windows to W and N. W tower: C15, of 4 stages, with semi-circular stair turret projecting from NE angle. W elevation has C19 pointed-arched doorway to ground stage and 3-light 4-centred arched window to 2nd stage. Bell-stage has pointed-arched 2-light windows to all sides. Interior: rather plain. All roofs repaired C19, but retain much of original moulded timbering, that to S aisle C14, elsewhere C15 and C16. C19 pewing. Circular font of uncertain date. E wall of porch retains indents of brass to a priest, central indent in shape of chalice.

Listing NGR: TL2286449437

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
38402
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Bedfordshire Mercury' in 7 September, (1889)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01361/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stan Saunders. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].