CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1322323
Date first listed:
27-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, RECTORY ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1322323.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 16:17:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, RECTORY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Rochford (District Authority)
Parish:
Hawkwell
National Grid Reference:
TQ 86028 91862

Details

HAWKWELL RECTORY ROAD TQ 89 SE 4/6 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 27.7.59 GV II*

Parish church. C14 origin, C15 alterations and bell turret. C19 restorations. Stone rubble, red plain tiled roofs, weatherboarded bell turret, shingle spire. Chancel, Nave, north west vestry, bell turret, south porch. Chancel, east wall, buttressed at angles, C19 window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, tracery over, 2 centre arch, label with head stops, no windows to north wall, south wall window of 2 trefoiled lights, square head and label, former doorway to west now partly blocked and converted into a trefoiled window with 2 centre arch. Nave south wall, 3 buttresses one at western angle, one to east of south porch and one at junction of Nave and Chancel. C19 2 light ogee window, traceried roundels over, square head and label. Gabled south porch, bargeboards to gable, panel dated 1884. 5 cant roof, each timber stop chamfered. Wooden side seats. South doorway C15 or earlier, 2 centre arch of 2 chamfered orders, segmental rear arch. 5 board nailed door, the 2 strap hinges with incised chevron motifs. Similar window to north wall. Lean-to north vestry with concrete tiled upper roof and corrugated asbestos to lower level, C20 fixed window and a 2 centre arched window to west wall. Angle buttresses to Nave west wall and a C19/C20 window of 3 cinquefoil lights, tracery over. 2 centre arched head and label. Interior. Chancel, plastered 7 cant roof, moulded wall plates. Piscina, sunk chamfered square surround, square drain in forward square bowl with square soffit. C20 stained glass to east and south windows. Chamfered 2 centred Chancel arch, moulded capital to semi-octagonal attached shaft. Late C20 altar and altar rails. No pulpit, no font. Nave. C19 coloured tiled floor. Segmental head to north door. Roof of 7 cants with tall 4 armed octagonal crown post with moulded capital and base on chamfered tie beam. Moulded wall plates. Some C19 stained glass to windows. Brass on south door dated 1857 relates to will of Robert Sudley Jan. 16, 1615 who left money to purchase 6 acres of land known as The Poor Lands and a double cottage for the use of the poor of this parish. Belfry, timber frame with corner posts, arched braces to side girts. Saltire upper braces. Later inserted posts and braces. Chamfered and square cut mouldings to eastern corner posts. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TQ8602891862

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
122978
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Nov 2005
Reference: IOE01/14738/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M W Keogh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].