The Milbank Arms

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1322713
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
13-Mar-2014
Statutory Address:
The Milbank Arms, Barningham, County Durham, DL11 7DW

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1322713.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 22:02:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
The Milbank Arms, Barningham, County Durham, DL11 7DW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Barningham
National Grid Reference:
NZ0858910361

Summary

Inn, probably early C19, interior remodelled in early C20.

Reasons for Designation

This early C19 building, operating as a hotel in 1860, with an inserted early C20 pub interior, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Interior: the ground floor retains its original plan of three main rooms comprising a tap room, a domino room and a dining room, with a small cellar; * Rarity: service is at the head of the cellar steps and this pub is considered to be one of fewer than twenty pubs nationally without a bar counter of the usual kind; * Architectural: the building has an intact and symmetrical early C19 exterior, retaining mostly unhorned sash window frames; * Historical: an estate pub named after the local Milbank family, which retains a dining room where the monthly rent collection took place and where the licencee served a cooked meal for the tenants.

History

This building was constructed in the early C19 on the site of an earlier coaching inn. It opened as the Milbank Hotel in 1860 and is named after the local land-owning family of that name who remain the owners. The present interior was inserted in the early C20. Since 1860 there have only ever been three names over the door, the present licensee taking over in 1987 from his father who had held the licence since 1939.

Details

Materials: squared stone with tooled-and-margined lintels, sills and door surround; graduated Lakeland slate roofs, the lower outbuilding having a tiled roof.

Plan: the inn has a linear plan with a rear outshut and is prominently sited within the village oriented east to west. The ground floor comprises three former public rooms accessed by an L-shaped corridor, with a central, rear staircase leading up to the domestic accommodation. A small cellar lies across the corridor accessed by a short flight of stone steps. There is a courtyard to the rear with a pair of outbuildings flanking the west side.

Exterior: the main (south) elevation is symmetrical with two storeys and 5 bays. It has a central six-panelled door with a plain overlight, in a raised stone surround. This is flanked by a pair of 16-pane unhorned sash windows (that to bay four is a replacement) and there are five identical windows to the first floor. Above and to the left of the door is an historic signboard with painted arms and the motto 'Resolute and Firm'. There are stepped-and-banded end and ridge chimney stacks. The rear elevation has an L-shaped outshut with an arched stair window, fitted with a 16-pane sash with intersecting glazing bars at the head, and there is a first floor 12-pane Yorkshire sash to its right.

Interior: entered into a vestibule with a stone flagged floor and through a timber glazed screen of small, coloured geometric panes with double doors into a corridor with a stone-flagged floor; the public part of the building consists of three rooms, only one of which, the tap room, is in regular use. Its doorway faces a short flight of stone stairs across the corridor down to the cellar. There is no bar counter and service now takes place at the head of these stairs; formerly service took place through a timber and glazed service hatch still in situ to the right. The Tap Room has a stone-flagged floor half-height panelling, a fireplace to the west wall, fixed seating with boarded backs to all sides and a baffle by the door. The Domino Room lies to the left (not inspected) and the Dining Room with a C20 fireplace lies to the right and was the location of the monthly rent collection on the 2nd Tuesday in January and where the licencee provided a cooked meal for the tenants.

Subsidiary features: a rectangular linear range with a lean-to roof at the north end is set to the west side of a courtyard; it comprises four rooms including a coal shed, stable and wash house, the latter with original flue and set pot.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
111632
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brandwood, G, The Best of Britain's Real Heritage Pubs: Pub Interiors of Outstanding Historic Interest, (2013)
Brandwood, G, Davison, A , Slaughter, M, Licensed To Sell: The History and Heritage of the Public House, (2011)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07077/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Le Mare. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].