CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1322806
Date first listed:
12-Nov-1980
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1322806.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 19:10:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Great Aycliffe
National Grid Reference:
NZ 28306 22163

Details

NZ 22 SE GREAT AYCLIFFE CHURCH LANE (West side, off)

10/8 Church of St. Andrew 12/11/80 1

Parish church. Evidence of Saxon nave and tower; c.l190 Transitional nave and chancel; c.1220 upper stages of tower refaced and south aisle added; Cl5 belfry; 1835 south porch; 1881-2 restoration by Ewan Christian included addition of new north aisle, organ chamber and vestry and rebuilding of chancel south wall. Snecked and rubble masonry with green slate roofs. West tower engaged by aisled nave; south porch; chancel with north organ chamber and vestry.

Buttressed, 4-stage tower with possibly Saxon sandstone masonry in lower 2 stages and limestone above (Saxon-type masonry continues to third stage within tower); blocked 2-light openings with shouldered heads to third stage; pointed openings with Y-tracery to belfry; embattled parapet. South-west buttress has sculptural fragment. 4-bay nave; buttressed south aisle has Cl9 windows and C16 2-light window in west bay; gabled porch conceals c.1220 inner doorway under 2-order pointed arch with colonnettes, keeled roll moulding and hoodmould on head stops; late C17 south aisle parapet. Buttressed north aisle has 2- and 3-light windows and west-return has lancet with grave-cover head and jamb. Low-pitched aisle roofs and steeply-pitched nave roof. Lower 2-bay chancel has 2 round-headed windows re-set in south wall; north wall has 2 similar windows (that to west hidden by organ chamber); east end has chamfered sill band and stepped group of 3 round-headed windows, probably early C19. Organ chamber and vestry with octagonal stack; steeply-pitched chancel roof.

Interior: square-sectioned, Saxon string course above nave arcades (2 quoins at west end of north arcade). 3-bay arcades are double-chamfered towards nave: semicircular north arcade, with hoodmoulds and nutmeg, on alternating octagonal and round piers and responds; pointed south arcade, with hoodmoulds, on round piers. 3 similar pointed tower arches. Possibly Saxon blocked doorway, in later chamfered surround, above tower arch. Piscina at east end of south aisle. Pointed chancel arch and semicircular responds have nailhead. Medieval sculptural fragments in chancel south wall. Late C19 nave and chancel roof with braced collars. Fittings and monuments: 2 late C10 cross shafts; early C14 effigy of cross-legged knight and foliated grave cover at west end of nave. Another grave cover near pulpit. Plain early Norman font. Mid C17 balustraded pews, pulpit, altar table, reredos and screen to organ chamber.

(Rev. J.F. Hodgson, "Aycliffe Church", Transactions of the Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland, 1st. series Vol. III (1880) and Vol. VI (1906-11)).

Listing NGR: NZ2830522164

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
112119
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03241/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Bradley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].