Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1322953 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 12:02:29.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Darlington (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 24903 22365


NZ 2422 HEIGHINGTON CHURCH VIEW (South side, off) 10/27 Church of 20/3/67 St. Michael GV I Parish church. Pre-Conquest tower, nave and chancel; c.1160-1170 chancel rebuilt and third stage of tower added; possibly C13 vestry; C13 chantry chapel extended in C14 to form south aisle; C15 tower parapet; c.1840 restorations; north aisle, south porch and organ chamber 1872-5 by Ewan Christian. Coursed squared stone, snecked 1872 additions; green slate roofs. West tower; aisled nave with south porch; chancel (comprising presbytery and sanctuary) with north vestry and organ chamber. 3-stage tower: probably C19 south doorway; small round-headed windows on south and west; twin bell openings on third stage; embattled parapet with gargoyles. 3-bay nave: round-arched south doorway with zigzag and billet mouldings (moved from north wall 1875); relief of King and Bishop above door; steeply-pitched roof. South aisle restored 2- and 3-light square-headed windows: C18 wall sundial; moulded parapet; lancet on west return; 3 stepped lancets on east return. Gabled porch incorporating sculptural fragments. North aisle 3-light windows and tall gabled east bay. 2-bay presbytery and taller narrower one-bay sanctuary. Restored Priest's door and flanking C19 windows on south; C10-Cll round-headed window on north. C19 sanctuary windows and 2 strings on south; 3-light 1872 east window. Continuous steeply-pitched chancel roof. One-bay organ chamber with reused lancet; vestry with tall stack. Plastered interior: c.1160 round 3-order tower and chancel arches, the latter on half-pier responds with scallop capitals. Double-chamfered, pointed 3-bay south arcade on octagonal piers. Similar C19 north arcade on round piers. Piscina at east end of south aisle. Fittings and monuments: In tower C14 octagonal font, cross slab with sword and 2 worn C13 female effigies. Large slab and wood donation plaque to John March died 1590. 5 hatchments (including two of C17) around tower arch. Wall monument to George Crossyer died 1669, south of chancel arch. Restored early C16 wood pulpit. Chancel stalls with some C16 poppyheads. On chancel north wall 2 grave slabs; armorial brass to Sir Anthony Byerley died 1667; wall monument with naval trophies by I. Ternouth of Pimlico to Capt. William Pryce Cumby, hero of Trafalgar, died 1837. 1899 stone reredos. Stained glass by Clayton and Bell 1875, by Heaton, Butler and Bayne 1875 and by Wailes and Strang 1908. (Rev. J.F. Hodgson, Church of St. Michael,Heighington, Transactions of the Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland, Volume V, 1905)

Listing NGR: NZ2490322364


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Transactions Architectural and Archaeological Society of Northumberland and Durh' in Transactions Architectural and Archaeological Society of Northumberland and Durh, , Vol. 5, (1905)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04934/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Bradley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].