CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1323050
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1323050.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 18:03:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bowes
National Grid Reference:
NY 99291 13514

Details

BOWES THE STREET NY 9913 (South side) 33/27 Church of St. Giles 12/1/67 II Parish church. Mid C12 nave; C13 chancel; C14 north and south transepts; c.1404 south porch. Extensively restored and north porch added in 1863 by Messrs. Hay of Liverpool. Coursed and partly-rendered sandstone rubble; graduated green slate roofs. Aisleless nave with north and south porches and transepts; chancel. All windows, except for east window are trefoil-headed lancets of 1863.

4-bay nave: fragments of low plinth; flat buttresses at west; large 3-light west window under pointed hoodmould; west bellcote with twin pointed openings; steeply-pitched roof with coped gables and shaped footstones.

Buttressed, lower and narrower 4-bay chancel: C19 priest's door to south; late C15 Perpendicular 3-light east window with panel tracery and a depressed-pointed head under hollow-chamfered hoodmould; steeply-pitched roof.

Gabled south porch: moulded pointed-arched doorway under hoodmould with eastern head stop; worn crucifixion relief in gable. Gabled north porch with pointed- arched doorway. Mid C12 doorways, within both porches, have chamfered round arches; datestone (AN:DO:) above north door. Gabled transepts each with 2 1694 lancets; 2 sculptured stones in north transept gable.

Painted and plastered interior. North transept has double-chamfered arch dying into wall and a pointed-arched piscina with fluted drain. Chancel with similar arch on moulded semicircular mid-wall corbels; pointed-arched piscina in south chancel wall has foliated cross-slab head in rear wall; round rear-arch of a blocked priest's door in north chancel wall.

Fittings and monuments: Inscribed Roman dedication stone in north transept. Large grave slab,with sword and hound,to west of north door; several other medieval grave slab fragments. 2 fonts flanking north door: C12 circular bowl with incised zig-zag on C13 stem with 4 engaged shafts; this stem probably belonged to the other font, a C13 circular bowl with 3 bands of leafwork, which now stands upon a re-cut fragment of a Roman altar. Small, possibly C17 circular bowl, with small relief of a human figure and raised geometric decoration, to east of north door. Plaque dated 1878, on south nave wall, records a sum of money raised, by the friends of Thomas Headlam to augment the living of Bowes.

(Rev. William Oliver, The Story of Bowes Church, 1944).

Listing NGR: NY9929113514

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
111189
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Oliver, W, The Story Of Bowes Church, (1944)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/01077/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Manekshaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].