CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1323689
Date first listed:
01-Jun-1998
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH BANK

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1323689.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2021 at 09:43:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stanley
National Grid Reference:
NZ 19629 53213

Details

NZ 15 SE STANLEY CHURCH BANK

1809/7/10004 CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

GV II

Church. 1876-7, tower added 1931. Designed by J G Holt of Manchester. Rock faced stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with ashlar coped gables. Original chancel, nave, north aisle and south porch with tower added over chancel with organ chamber and vestry added either side. Chamfered plinth and continuous sill band. West front has large 4-light pointed arch window to nave with lattice tracery and small roundel above. West end of north aisle has slightly set back narrower gable to left with between an octagonal bellcote which projects with open octagonal arcaded lantern topped with octagonal stone spire. Below slightly projecting doorway with pointed arched opening with deeply set narrow pointed doorway, and 2-light deeply set window with geometrical tracery . N orth aisle has three 3-light pointed arch windows with geometric tracery , projecting later organ loft beyond has single 3-light window with perpendicular tracery . South side has projecting gabled porch to west with diagonal buttresses and coped gable with kneelers and finial. T o right 2 pairs and a single 2-light pointed arch windows with reticulated tracery .Projecting vestry to east has similar 3-light window. Massive square west tower with angle buttresses and octagonal stair turret attached to centre of south face. East face has large 5-1ight pointed arch window with reticulated tracery and above a tiny niche. Bell stage has 3 flat headed louvred openings and a clock to each face. Above stepped battlements with decorative arcading, topped with thin octagonal stone spire. INTERIOR has 4 bay nave arcade to north with double chamfered arches and cluster columns with stiffleaf capitals, and single similar arch beyond to choir. Panelled wooden roof with curved arch trusses, chancel has flat wooden roof. Original wooden pews, octagonal stone font with wooden cover, ornate octagonal wooden pulpit on stone base. Fine wooden choir screen with broad central arch and 3 narrower flanking arches. Wooden choir stalls, altar rail and reredos. East bell tower has steel bell frame with brass bells and reinforced concrete spire.

Listing NGR: NZ1962953213

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
469307
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/00649/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].